Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cancer

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

OK..I'm GARY & have been a member for some years but usually just read & don't ask anything but I have something I need some advice on

OK..On my Lip I had what looked like an ingrown hair & it was there quite a while before my Primary at the VA sent me to have it checked & the damn thing turned out to be Cancerious so I was sent to have it removed & the guy there was the one who informed me it was Cancer

So, I have another one on my lip & a Mole which is sticking out like a skin tag & some sort of growth on my head & I haven't had them checked yet

So, does anyone know what type of Cancer the one I had removed was as I didn't bother to ask but I am more concerned because of the new growths that are popping up

Also, I'm 100% T & P & if I was to file for anything it would be to increase my SMC if this is possible

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this but it has got my attention as I don't like the idea of what this might mean

So, I will have these checked but any advice from anyone as to what this damn stuff is I would sincerly appreciate it Thank You

GARY

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary, tht SMC would come into play if you had one condition rated at 100 percent and othe condition, or conditions combined at 60 percent or be housebound. SMC S

To get to SMC you are going to need a 60% rating alone or combined. If the VA did your surgery go to the record release at the MC It's called ROI and ask them for a copy of when the operation was and read that. It should say what kind of cancer it was.

But first I would go and get the latest checked out. Then just ask what kind of cancer it is.

Either way get it taken care of.

Good Luck to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all I want you to know that the VA does one of its better jobs on skin cancer. I know in Dallas they do anyway. Last I heard from you was you and your wife were considering moving into nursing home?

As far as SMC you were given good advice.

It was most likely basal cell carcinoma. They should have at least told you what it is their taking off. If you have a scar from the surgery you can get service connection as long as the cancer is related to your other conditions or service.

I have a non-compensable rating for post-surgery scar for basal cell carcinoma. Unless you have this all over your body they will just cut them out and you will be left with a scar, depending on how large the cancer is.

Basal cell carcinoma is easily removed most of the time and if removed correctly there's a 99.9% chance the cancer will never come back. (in that spot anyway)

Get those other things checked out as soon as you can. If they are cancerous they will continue to grow and you will have to have a bigger cut to get them out and be left with a bigger scar.

Google basal cell carcinoma and look at all the pictures. See if these pics are similar to yours.

Thank U very much for taking the time to read my post & answer my questions

I shall follow up & get the VA to see what these damn things are

Oh Ya, Pete, I checked into that & decided that living at home would be no different than living in some Assisted care center also I have a Daughter that was living with Me & my Wife who moved but she is only 3/5 of a mile away so if we need any help we can call her

GARY