Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mst / Ptsd Question

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I was a victum of SExual harrasement several times while on active duty in the military. Once i basic, and 2 times while stationed in Ga. One resulted in my daughter. At the time I just took it and didnt really have a reaction good or bad. I was 18 and just manipulated. Never reported it. I am not getting treatment for the mst/ptsd because what I didnt realize my life and the way it has turned out was affected because of it. its all documented by my therapist. I am on anti anxiety med also due to my horrible distrust of people around me and in social situations. I have filed a claim for and depression and ptsd are on there. Here is the questions. Is it possible I will get awarded when at the time I did not realize the severity of the situation and that i was being manipulated and used adn allowed 2 of the 3 men to basically ruin my life. My trust, my self esteem I mean everything. My dr says I have been in depression since then and has it well documented in my va records. I have to see a phyciatrist. and phycologist on a weekly basis now. I just thougt I was ment to have bad things happen to me and my life was goinig to be horrible and full of hurt and pain. I never realized until my diagnosis that all that was happending was not just my tragedy and a result of depressoin that I had for over 10 years. Will this affect my being awarded you think. because there was sex will I not be awarded. I mean please give me your input. i hate thinking about it but i mean its all I think about lately because we are discussig these things in therapy weekly. My head is juts all messed up and most times I cannot function. I have no jon and am even homeless right now. I am at rock bottom. As stated I did not report it then though I kneww it was wrong. I just wanted thing to be ok and to be left along trying to make it. Now I see that I was just young and I guess not smart.

please give me any input you can offer.

thnx

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Claim 4 Filed June 13,11 cnps-Na Dec Phase- Aug 2011 Notification- ...

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

***Under Ga VARO from 2009 - Until Present***

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have requiested a copy of the records. i served during the gulf war era. and no I have not applied for any other type of dissability.

I am actully confused with sexual harassment. if there is coitus does it no longer qualify unless you were rapped. I only want to refer to statements which qualify. I am a little unsure about this.

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

• HadIt.com Elder

If there is coersion involved it could be MST I think. Sex between lower rank and higher rank is ripe for sexual harrassment issue. Where there is power or rank difference there is possibility of harrassment, and the military knows this full well.

I'm a little confused by this post but maybe I'm just old and stupid.

Aren't sexual harassment and sexual assault two different issues.,

People go to jail for sexual assault.

People are fired from thier jobs and are sued in civil court for sexual harassment.

JMHO

Bill

As an old timer the only women I ever say in Nam were nurses that were Officers at the hospital in Da Nang.

I didn't have a contact with service women because I was a grunt.

I did work for uncle sam for 37 years as a civilian and 22 years in a management position.

I do know that telling a female in the workplace that you want to sleep with her and that she has a nice ass is sexual harassment .

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder
I have requiested a copy of the records. i served during the gulf war era. and no I have not applied for any other type of dissability.

I am actully confused with sexual harassment. if there is coitus does it no longer qualify unless you were rapped. I only want to refer to statements which qualify. I am a little unsure about this.

x

x

x

I gotta say, I'm having my doubts about your being a woman veteran. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, I will say that if you are being honest with your psychiatrist, and s/he has told you that you are showing signs or symptoms of PTSD, then there may be a history of TRAUMA.

For you to be service-connected for MST/PTSD, you must provide evidence of a traumatic experience, occurring during military service. Evidence.

If the shrink has told you, that you are clinically DEPRESSED, and you can show evidence of your being diagnosed or treated for a mental health issue while active duty --then you should file for Depression, and leave the evidence gathering alone on the MST issue. Proving service-connection means that your current mental disorder is related to or linked to military service.

On another note, since you served WARTIME, your application for Compensation should serve as an application for a Military PENSION. Since you are being served by a VA VASH program, you need to talk to your caseworker and let her know that you need some help filing your VA Claim(s).

Trauma is trauma, and you need not discuss the details of your sexual experince on-line.

John is right to say --that sexual harrassment and rape is more about control and power than about sex. If you were coerced, threatened, intimidated, injured, raped, burned, stabbed, violated, kidnapped, then you were traumatized, and you may or may not have had the coping skills or support to deal with that experience.

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

WELL I HAVE A DAUGHTER BY THE GUYS WHO WAS MY NCOIC. WHEN THE SITUATION FIRST STARTED I DID NOT KNOW HE WAS GOING TO BE IN OUR UNIT OR MY BOSS FOR THAT MATTER. I YOUNG AND NEW TO THE WORLD. NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM HOME BUT FOR BT. I DID GET ADVANCED ON BY HIM BUT DIDNT ACTUALLY HAVE ANYTHING GO ON WITH HIM UNTIL I WAS IN HIS CAR ON THE WAY HOME FROM A CLUB MY FRIEND I RODE WITH I COULD NOT FIND. HE OFFERED MEA RIDE AND STOPPED HALF WAY THERE AND TOLD ME TO KISS HIM. WHEN A WHILE LATER AFTER I LOST A FAMILY MEMBER AND WAS HAVING ISSUES WITH PATIENT CARE DUE TO BEING DEPRESSED BY ALL THE INJURIES I WAS KIND OF NOT HANDING THING WELL THAT IS WHEN HE MADE ADVANCES FOR SEX AND EVENTUALLY ONE NIGHT I WAS DRINKING AND DRUNK OUT OF MY MIND AND GAVE IN. I AM TOLDTHIS IS NOT HARASSMENT BECAUSE I DID EVENTUALLY HAVE SEX THAT WAS NOT RAPE CAUSE I NEVER SAID STOP AND HE REFUSED. ALSO BECAUSE EVENTUALLY I NEVER REFUSED HIM AND I LATER HAD A DAUGHTER WITH HIM. I LATER DID FIND OUT HE WAS PREGNANT BUT I WAS SO DEPRESSED ANDHE WAS THERE FOR ME. HE HELP CARE FOR MY DAUGHTER I FELT I OWED HIM. I HAD NO ONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS I MEAN I HAD ACTUALLY GAVE UP ON LIFE NAD TRIED TO DRINK MYSELF TO DEATH AT ONE POINT. I HAD TO MUCHH GOING ON. AT ANYRATE. SHE SAYS CAUSE WE HAVE A DAUGHTER I KEPT ITS NOT HARRASEMENT BECAUSE I DID CONTINUE THE COITUS AND ALL THAT. THERE IS WHERE I AM CONFUSED. I DONT WANT TO LIST IT IF ITS NOT HARRASEMENT. HE WAS A LIER ENDED UP MARRIED WITH A BABY FROM SOMEONE ELSE. I DID AFFECT ME AT WORK AND CAUSED MEA WHOOLE LOT OF STRESS BECAUSE OF BEING IN THE MIDST OF ALL THIS DRAMA IN MY LIFE.

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS WHAT I JUST AM TRYING TO GET ANSWERS.

THNX