Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gout

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

Hi all. I have been having Bouts of Gout off and on for a few yrs. now. Never had it before & no one in my family That I know of had it. Is it possible it is being caused by the ump-teen mil meds I'm taking for SC disabilities? I am a beer drinker and have been long before taking the meds. So I know that doesn't help.

Thank you,

David

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think anyone knows why some get gout and some don't. You know your diet is important factor, but only a doctor knows about meds causing it.

I have been getting gout for over 15 years. I don't take meds for them anymore because I found something that really helps. When I feel my big toe tingling I drink a quart of black cherry juice, not the cheap stuff but the one that costs about $6.00. It works the same as the meds and after you get off the toilet for around the 5th time the gout is gone. I don't think high uric acid is SC.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Red Meat, organ meat, alcohol and shellfish aggravate gout. I have it and I really watch my diet and have quit drinking since 1982. For 12 years I drank to self medicate for panic attacks. Gout is not in my family but being Irish Catholic drinking is.

I also found out that taking gout meds when you are having an attack is worse.

Good Luck

I had a spell with gout and after it cleared up the doctor put me on allopurinol and told me to take one pill a day and I would never be in pain with it again. I did and it worked and thats been ten years ago. The allopurinol is inexpensive. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks all for the replies. I am on Allopurinol, have been for about a yr. and I still get out breaks. I know the beer isn't good for me but I haven't had Seafood or Nuts for 3 or 4 weeks. It's still very painful, I stop the allopurinol and start Prednisone for 5-days and that helps. Just was wondering if anybody had heard of meds causing it. My brother mentioned the Black cherry juice also, guess I'll have to try it.

Thanks again,

David