Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

mrjenks

Question

I have OSA and will be service connected for it...my question is....the CPAP machine does not do alot with helping me getting enough sleep...it helps a little, but not as much as I want or should work. I still have sleepy episodes during the day and still feel like I never get enough sleep when I wake up in the morning. Even the PA who did my C&P exam noticed I had a relative large uvula. I like to have surgery, and was told by someone that if I have surgery sleep apnea would be rated as 100%. The reason why I want the surgery is because I will be starting work again (I'm retired) and the commute is 1 hour both ways. My girlfriend said I shouldn't do it, but it is a federal position which allows me to at least get my foot into the system. I guess my main question is will Sleep Apnea with the surgery would rate 100% or any percentage more the the 50% just for sleep apnea alone....????

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I heard if you get the surgery the VA only rates you at 30%. CPAP machine you are rated 50%.

I think if you get surgery that is recommended by VA for an already service connected condition it can be a temporary rating of 100% while yo are in recovery about 3 months. But it would already need to be SC'ed..

The only sleep apnea 100% rating I have heard of is a guy we met once that had a tracheotomy and has a tube coming out of his throat because his apnea prevents him from breathing at all when he lays down, because his throat just closes up.

Never heard of any other surgery for Sleep Apnea getting someone a permanent 100% though.

Unless you are getting a tracheostomy (A tracheostomy is a surgically created opening in the neck leading directly to the trachea (the breathing tube). It is maintained open with a hollow tube called a tracheostomy tube.) You will most likely stay at 50%