Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Using A Cane - Dominant Vs. Non Dominant Hand

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I was issued a cane by the VA back in September. For the first few months, I used it in my left hand (non dominant) because my right knee and foot hurt, too, and I liked having my right hand free.

My Physical Therapist (started seeing last month) told me I was wrong, and instructed me on the correct use of the cane, that I use it in my right hand to diminish the burden on my left foot (which is worst).

When I had my C & P's for my feet & knee back in December and early Feb., both times the evaluators noted that I used the cane in my non-dominant hand.

I'm wondering now if it's pertinent that I add a statement that I am now using the cane in my right hand. I asked my PT to please make a note that she had instructed me to do so.

Does it matter? It sure matters to me, not having my right hand free... :D

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah, I just went through a bunch of "remarks" from my ortho "team" that I was using my cane in "THE WRONG HAND"!

Had one of them go so far as to say that I would not have fallen (had a bad fall last week) if I had been using my cane in "PROPER HAND"!

I use my cane in the hand on the side of my body where I am screwed up, my left side. WHY? they asked/said.

BECAUSE, YOU DUMMIES...........that's the side that I fall down because my left leg/knee/ankle/foot/hip is the part of my "suspension system" that buckles/collapses when I try to walk. Now, tell me, what is so hard about understanding that THAT SIDE IS THE SIDE THAT I WANT TO HOLD UP WITH MY CANE!

I told 'em that when it came THEIR turn to have to use a cane/crutches/walker/wheelchair that they could use it however it felt best to them, and I wouldn't pre-suppose that I was more intelligent than them to go so far as to tell them that they were wrong, and I would appreciate the same courtesy, thank ya mam!

• HadIt.com Elder
Technically, they're right. Cane should be on the opposite side that the injury/disability is on. I have less pain when I follow their instructions, but that's me.

pr

Yup, I know that they are "technically right", Philip. But, it just "feels better" for me to have it in the hand of the side of my body that will be doing the falling down. I've been able to thwart several falls by doing so, and have yet to be able to figure out how, if I'm falling to my left, that the cane in my right hand is going to be doing me any good? BTW, the fall that I had a few days ago, was due to a kid (4 years old) running loose in a restaurant whilst his mommy and daddy were enjoying another White Zinfadel (W.C. Fields is becoming my idol. When asked how he liked children, his answer: "parboiled".).

I am soooo sore right now, if I took enough pain meds (as I was instructed to do so by my pcp) I wouldn't even be able to breathe unassisted). It seems to have broken off something in my back, to the point of, when I attempt to bend, even the slightest, or to rotate/twist, there are "things" in my lumbar portion of my spine that are "grinding", out loud, my Wife can even hear it.

"Parboiled", enticeing concept.

:D

• HadIt.com Elder

Use it a lot and get a callus on the hand tyou are supposed to use it on. If they ask, show them the callus and you will be fine.

I learned this one from Yoggie2 who uses a cane to ambulate.

J

Use it a lot and get a callus on the hand tyou are supposed to use it on. If they ask, show them the callus and you will be fine.

I learned this one from Yoggie2 who uses a cane to ambulate.

J

Only problem is,,,,,if you use it only on one side,,,you will look like the hulk on one side and a person with serious problems on the other side...... IMHO you should alternate...that's what I do. Again, just MHO.

• HadIt.com Elder
Only problem is,,,,,if you use it only on one side,,,you will look like the hulk on one side and a person with serious problems on the other side...... IMHO you should alternate...that's what I do. Again, just MHO.

Then, of course, the possibility arises.................you just could BE

a person with serious problems on the other side

yes?

MOF, it could possibly be the main reason that that veteran is 100%?

Surely not. Why, just think, you could use that cane like Fred Astaire and toss it from one hand to the other while tap dancing around the stage in your top hat and tails.

Oh, WhatEver...................