Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Introduction

Rate this question

chr49

Question

I spent 36 years trying hard to deny any connection to the VA. In 2007, a kind man convinced me that I was dealing with PTSD and needed to be seen by a professional. I entered a VAMC in August 2007, while hitting my bottom, and have been under their care since then. I filed claim for PTSD in February 2008 and am currently SC'ed for PTSD at 50%. Along with my PTSD, I deal with hypertension, bilateral peripheral vascular disease with occlusion of my right femoral artery and carotid stenosis with occlusion of my right carotid artery. I am not SC'ed for these problems at this time.

I've been searching thru Hadit for information and support. Since I've spent so many years denying everything it's been very hard to go back to thinking about it nearly every day. Thank you so much for providing this wonderful site for vets to research and learn about our options.

CHR49

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

jbasser is right about not worrying about the tobacco use. The VA sometimes tries to use it as a trump card in a denial on Agent Orange claim. *I know of many smoking Viet Vets that are service connected for lung cancer and have smoking history. The benefit of the doubt is in your favor. Presumptive conditions on the Agent Orange list make it very tuff for the VARO to formulate a legitimate denial. However, they will look for any loophole/rathole to try. Keep reading Hadit, get your records, file a claim, and keep the faith--you are not alone.

Welcome to hadit.

In my recent experience, asking for a complete medical file won't be suffcient.

You need to ask specifically for:

* Lab Results

* X rays, MRI, etc.

* Progress Notes

* Problem List

* Medications

You need to supply the time frame. Just saying all the records they have is not sufficient, because they will only send you all computerized files. My husband has another 12 years of paper records he never got, and only when we looked through over 10,000 pages of medical records did we discover they weren't there. So you will need to request all non-electronic records as well. The VA records people love getting dates because to print out electronic records they have to put dates in, so either provide them or they will pick them for you.

Good Luck with your claims.

Thanks hawkfire27 & vmo. My wife thought that might be the case. She has kept a list of all of my visits to either VAMC [date/reason] so that will help me with dates. Knowing the proper VA terminology will be most difficult for me since I don't know exactly what tests/procedures were done during some of the visits, such as when I went into ER with severe upper abdominal pain and they thought it might be a heart attack. Using the time frame for records may be key in my situation.

Your info will help me do things right the first time around -- I hope.

CHR49

You are not alone. In my case the kind man happened to be my brother-in-law who finally convinced me that it was okay to ask for help. I began to get help for the 35 years of sleepless nights, remarkably unpleasant behavior that would appear from who knows where and usually without warning, and...the list goes on. I began receiving help for all of this from the VA in 2005 and, at that time, filed claims for several issues, one of them being PTSD. The claim for PTSD was denied by my regional office on the grounds that I had made no mention of it "since being treated for anxiety during my hospitalization in 1968". The hospitalization was for injuries received in combat. My official rep did not think there was anything more to be done, but my brother-in-law put me in touch with friends who were more familiar with the VA regulations concerning these issues. After filing an appeal, the denial of PTSD was overturned in short order, which seemed to make sense since, by this time, I had been receiving both medication and counseling from the VA for almost one year.

Since 2005, life has been somewhat better. I sleep more often than not, I haven't hit anyone, and my health is better than it has been for some time. There are good people in the system, but it sometimes takes some help to find them. And sites like this are a part of the help.

rlarc

rlarc,

It's good to hear from you. I'm going off track here....Just need to get it out...

I don't know about you, but when I returned to my hometown in '71 I wasn't welcomed, honored, or considered a hero. I had done my best for my country. I'd given up on all of my hopes & dreams, but none of that mattered, I was an embarrassment. It really hurt that I was treated as if I was a criminal for going to 'Nam. Family and friends didn't want to hear anything about what I'd gone thru. They told me not to think/talk about it and move on. My wife left me shortly after I returned. She didn't want to deal with my problems either. My nightmares, flashbacks and anxiety attacks ruled my life and the only way to escape was by getting drunk and/or high. Nobody mentioned PTSD back then. I was simply labeled as 'changed', 'unpredictable', and 'angry'. Years later, when I finally got sober & clean, it was like a flood gate opened, making me face everything I had been hiding for so many years. Thankfully I had a better support system at that point but it was still very difficult. It was several years after that, when I had setback, that it was pointed out that I was most likely dealing with PTSD. Once the diagnosis was confirmed I was encouraged to file a claim for disability.

Nowadays, life isn't perfect but I have the support I need to make it and that means so much. Sites like Hadit do make a difference.

There isn't a day that I don't think about our younger veterans. I hope and pray that they are receiving better treatment while in the service and upon their return home than I received. Any person that services our country deserves to be treated with respect and caring.

CHR49