VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

dolfanbls

Question

I just recieved a new C&P appointment for Mental Health. I just had one about a 1 1/2 months ago which lasted a little over 20 minites and was rated @ 10%.

Now I have another one scheduled for 4 hours. I have NOD in but I don't think it would already be added for a new C&P.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I just recieved a new C&P appointment for Mental Health. I just had one about a 1 1/2 months ago which lasted a little over 20 minites and was rated @ 10%.

Now I have another one scheduled for 4 hours. I have NOD in but I don't think it would already be added for a new C&P.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

Wow four hours ! I would need some mental health help after four hours. I do not have a clue and i have had many mental health c&p's. I just do not believe the nod would be the reason. I am interested and would like to know why also.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you have never been seen by the VA MH department, your initial exam might have been an intake exam where they do a brief assessment. Afterwards, they will schedule you for a more specific in-depth examination.

My C&P MH exam lasted about an hour total. The doc went down a list of questions and typed as I provided answers. The doc also did some cognitive and short/long-term memory tests.

You might want to ask for a meal ticket. If they plan on having you there half a day, then they should at least buy you lunch!

I have been seeing a Psch Doctor at the VA for about a year and waited about 6 months to put in my claim. When I told him about my low ball offer he requisted that I put in the NOD. He had my GAF at 45-50 and the 1 hr C&P gave me a GAF of 65.

I will keep you all updated as my appointment is not until Apr 27th.

He had my GAF at 45-50 and the 1 hr C&P gave me a GAF of 65.

dolfanbls,

GAF is only one small part of how the percentage level of

a mental health claim is adjudicated.

jmho,

carlie

Agree GAF is not the only factor, but when they give you a 65, you know the VA is going to low ball you. A 45-50 GAF compared to a 65 is like comparing an 8.0 eathquake to a 5.0. Hard to believe they would set you up with another C&P already. You may need to get an IMO from private psych doc if your VA psych won't write you a stronger diagnosis. I don't have much faith in the VA C&P examiners. They will look right at the evidence and still say it's less likely than not that it is service related. You must get an IMO that provides an honest diagnosis and not the VA's diagnosis. They are going to low ball you everytime!!

Have you put a claim in for any other medical issues at all? Usually they schedule a 2 hour window for exams, but have not heard of 4 hours. Sure it isn't for 2 different exams? Call the VAMC and request the C&P dept area and ask what the exam/exams are for they will tell you, medical, behavioral, audiology, etc.