Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son In Iraq

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I am just curious to see if other Vets have sons deployed to Iraq. My son is a baby, not even old enough to buy a drink in my state. Yet, he is in Iraq, in the Infantry, at risk of being blown up by a roadside bomb or who knows what else.

It hurt me putting him back on that plane, knowing he may come home in a box. I just wish I could take his place.

I do remember, being a Vietnam Era Vet, being booed at the airport in uniform. However, when I pick my son up at the airport in uniform, many times people come up to him and thank him for his service. I did not get thanked one time for my service until 20 years later.

Sometimes I think if politicians sons were deployed to wars...we wouldnt have any.

Yesterday, when I took him to the airport, we stopped for breakfast at Bob Evans. The manager insisted on buying me/my sons breakfast. (I told the waitress we needed to have our breakfast served quickly as he was headed for a plane back to Iraq)

Anyway, if you have a son or daughter deployed to Iraq or Afghanastan, I would like to hear your thoughts.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

PS. Yes, I know he joined the military, in part at least, because I set an example for him. I even recommended it. I dont know if I can live with myself if he gets killed..it will be my fault.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco:

Hang in there I will add you and your son to my prayers for a safe return. I have a candle burning.

even though I walk through the valley of ,,,,, blah blahh blah, you his father should fear no evil as you were guided from.. and to your son .. you a former war veteran as he shall and has returned times 2 plus a war veteran. in his dads eyes the greatest pride a father can have.. am I wrong??

so in the darkest hours ... blaa blaaa blaah (you as dad ) YOU TOO SHALL FEAR NO EVIL ,YET BE REMINDED OF THE PROUDEST MOMENT SHared and welcome the generous nature of citizens, that now know freedom is not free but wish sincere, and happy, hopeful returns of all future soldiers, NOT PROTEST, not hatred, not simple fire judgements as you did.THE WELCOME BACK HOME IS HONORED!. and made in part through vietnam vets like you.

and if he does come back in a box as you fear then my old friend .. your thoughts are not healthy for you or your son and i pray that he has no need to read his fathers fears ,,,, because deep down you know he will return home. one way or the other .... our brothers come back home now,

POW and MIA will be a thing of the PAST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN

I am just curious to see if other Vets have sons deployed to Iraq. My son is a baby, not even old enough to buy a drink in my state. Yet, he is in Iraq, in the Infantry, at risk of being blown up by a roadside bomb or who knows what else.

It hurt me putting him back on that plane, knowing he may come home in a box. I just wish I could take his place.

I do remember, being a Vietnam Era Vet, being booed at the airport in uniform. However, when I pick my son up at the airport in uniform, many times people come up to him and thank him for his service. I did not get thanked one time for my service until 20 years later.

Sometimes I think if politicians sons were deployed to wars...we wouldnt have any.

Yesterday, when I took him to the airport, we stopped for breakfast at Bob Evans. The manager insisted on buying me/my sons breakfast. (I told the waitress we needed to have our breakfast served quickly as he was headed for a plane back to Iraq)

Anyway, if you have a son or daughter deployed to Iraq or Afghanastan, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Broncovet,

This is CHR49's wife. I have a grandson (19) in Iraq at the moment and pray each and every day that he will return home safely.

Being the ex-wife and current wife of Vietnam veterans I can understand what you are saying about your return home. I know that my husband has always wanted better for our young men/women than what he received. I would love to see every young man or woman facing deployment or returning home treated in a manner far better than the young men of our era received.

Your post gives me hope that opinions have changed over the years. I will place your son in my prayers, along with my husband's nephew (19) and my grandson.

Kathy

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet, Hang in there. These times we are in are difficult to endure especially in your situation.

We will pray for his safe return.

J