Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Commission

Rate this question

carlie

Question

Are we falling asleep on the issue of the commission proposing to off-set SSDI

income that also pertains to S/C disability ?

Are the large organizations stepping up on this or governors, congress anyone with some clout ?

Do we need to be making massive phone calls and sending in petitions to block this ?

I see on their web-site they will be voting on it May 19th.

carlie

Edited by carlie

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

DAV and the VFW are both fighting them and VA Watchdog has been doing a series on it I got an e mail from them today saying that some people are spreading this disinformation about the offsets, that the commission members are all veterans and they are taking care of the vets,, well if thats the case then why try and mess with SSDI the task assigned was VA compensation not all compensation and besides not all of us get SSD for our VA SC claims mine are 2 different medical problems SSD heart and PTSD VA leave my money alone I am entitled to both lol

My take in reading the notes is like this:

Hypothetical, say a vet is being paid VA disability comp at 50 % because his right leg got blown off in RVN, --- then the commission is trying to make the offset from SSA, NOT ALLOW payment for that same disability from SSDI, nor for that disability

to be a determining factor towards the person getting SSDI approved, as VA is already paying for that disability.

This is the way I am understanding the commissions veiwpoint.

Let me know if Iam incorrect in this understanding.

I am in total agreement that this issue is not within the mandates of COMMISSION.

SSDI is what a person has put away in through payments from working

(in taxes) incase they should ever become disabled.

VA Disability is payments made due to illness or injury sustained during

or consequent to military service.

OMO

carlie

Are we falling asleep on the issue of the commission proposing to off-set SSDI

income that also pertains to S/C disability ?

Are the large organizations stepping up on this or governors, congress anyone with some clout ?

Do we need to be making massive phone calls and sending in petitions to block this ?

I see on their web-site they will be voting on it May 19th.

carlie

I hope I am understanding all of this. I am 70%/30% and draw ssd. Because both organizations pay the entire amount for the same disability, i have reason to worry. I have other disabilities that have never been filed on because the VA told me, by phone of course, not to bother I am already getting the max. So to protect myself, do I need to file on the other disabilities. The VA is aware of them but never rated them because they rated me at 70%/30% and there is no way they could pay me more however with additional ratings there a way that the SSD and VA compensation are different. Hope this question is clear because I am getting ready to flood them with paperwork and claims again. I really throught this process was over with but quess that is not true.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been researching all the "news sites" and can not find anything on the vote yesterday, I don't think it is going to matter who rates you for what, they are going to recommend the offsets regardless of the disability, much like what Reagan did with the "triple dippers" back in the 80's. If they vote to not look at it then the camel so to speak will not get his nose under the tent flap, but if they vote to approve the review, then it just won't matter why you get both, they will recommned that there be offsets as it is to much comepnsation. I would not file claims for things that are not SC yet trying to have other reasons for SSD, because I personally don't think it will matter, like I pointed out earlier my claims for VA and SSD are on 2 different disabilities 100% PTSD VA and SSD for heart disease for SSD. All we can do is wait and see, no need to jump a gun here, these are just recommendations and Congress has to approve them and hopefully by 2007 after this report is delived to the President and Congress we will have a more favroable Congress to vets, a democratic controlled congress. Vote your wallet in Novemeber, your financial security depends on it.

Guest rickb54

I don't think we have a think to worry about this. First of all it will take an act of congress to implement any changes, and they can't even decide who is in charge ( democrats acted like they were in charge last week).

Everyone's case is different. I draw ssdi as well, and I get it because of my service connected disability, but I also get it because I am medically retired from civil service.

Under civil service laws ssdi is part of the civil service medical retirement, and my civil service retirement is offset by the ssd.

If congress does muster enought votes to screw us over they will have to change the laws that also effect civil service retirement.

Now in my case, if I lose ssdi, under present law I will just draw my civil service retirement.

Currently there are to may laws that they would have to change to keep disabled veterans from getting ssdi.

NOTE: In fact I really don't think congress has the balls to screw with our ssdi. Hell not when the senate just approved ss for illigal immigrants who have been using stolen ss numbers. Under the current law only those here legally can draw ss, and stealing ss numbers is a felony. Under the new rules of immigration if passed by both houses, those illegals who stold the ss numbers will be able to draw ss under the stolen number after they get their work permit, or green card. This with out regard to the fact that the numbers don't belong to them, and that the illigal has messed up an american's life by useing a number that belonged to a true american.

Edited by rickb54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a copy but it is an email I recieved from a fellow veteran.

Commission Debates Disability Insurance Review.

>

>During its May 18-19 hearing in Arlington, VA, the Veterans'

>Disability Benefits Commission members and veterans' service

>organization representatives exchanged views on whether Social

>Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) awards should be considered in

>assessing VA and military compensation amounts for service-disabled

>veterans.

>

>The commission, chartered by Congress to study the benefits that are

>provided to compensate and assist veterans and their survivors for

>disabilities and deaths attributable to military service, is now

>scheduled to provide their final report in October 2007.

>

>Over the past two months, the commission had failed to reach an

>internal consensus on whether to collect SSDI data. This week's

>hearing gave military and veterans' organization representatives the

>opportunity to comment.

>

>MOAA's input to the commission made the following points:

>

>1) SSDI is an independent Social Security insurance program that

>all American workers pay for through payroll tax "premiums." As

>such, it serves a different purpose than compensation earned through

>service and sacrifice for the Nation.

>

>2) MOAA is strongly opposed to offsetting VA disability

>compensation by SSDI, just as we believe it is inappropriate to

>offset retired pay for VA disability compensation or to offset

>Survivor Benefit Plan annuities for Dependency and Indemnity

>Compensation payments. In the case of SSDI, the statute has always

>prohibited any such offset to military retirement or veterans'

>disability benefits.

>

>3) Congress established the commission at the same time it acted to

>eliminate the disability offset to retired pay for 100-percent

>disabled retirees - the only group that might qualify for SSDI. In

>that context, it would be the ultimate irony for the commission to

>investigate whether there should be a new offset to these members'

>disability compensation where none existed before.

>

>After considering all of the organizations' inputs, the commission

>decided that it should get more information on SSDI. However, the

>commissioners took pains to emphasize that they do not intend to

>consider SSDI as a possible offset to VA disability

>compensation. Rather, the commission may consider possible options

>to improve coverage for disabled veterans, such as waiving the

>normal requirement to have paid 40 quarters of Social Security

>payroll taxes to be eligible for SSDI.

>

>For more information on the Veterans' Disability Benefits Commission

>please visit <www.vetscommission.org>