VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First C&p For Diabetes And Coronary Artery Disease

Rate this question

JohnO

Question

First time post here. Greetings to all and thanks in advance for the help.

I am a Vietnam vet, served in III Corps in an assault helicopter company. I'm rated 0% right now, but am going for my first C&P on the 30th of this month.

My claim filed under Agent Orange is for Type II Diabetes with secondaries hypertension, neuropathy and coronary artery disease. This is how my VSR said to file. I'm not exactly sure why coronary artery disease cannot be considered separately given the recent IHD addition to the list of diseases covered under Agent Orange. Perhaps one of you will enlighten me about this.

I had a heart attack in '96. I have a stent and see a cardiologist 3-4 times a year, including an annual stress test. I have a neurologist that sees me twice a year for my neuropathy and my motor neuron disease. My family doctor treats my diabetes and hypertension.

My question is that I have two types of neuropathy or chronic pain. I've had chronic pain all over my body 24 hours a day since '89. Just the last three or so years, I noticed a new layer of pain in my feet, ankles and hands. My neurologist said that the "new" pain is diabetic neuropathy. Is diabetic neuopathy considered a secondary compliant to diabetes by the VA?

I have a complicated list of diseases and complaints. I'm unsure how to approach this hearing. What can I expect? Will I be throwing the examiner a curve if I talk about my chronic pain (been with me since '89) and my diabetic neuropathy that has been with me for three or for years?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never heard of a 0% rating for DMII. 10% is for DMII controlled by diet and exercise. That earlier claim Berta is taking about that was denied could be a big factor under Nehmer if your other secondary conditions happened after that. Either way you qualify for the IHD presumptive whenever that gets in the regs. The VA denied my claim for PN the first time because I had complained about pain in my hands before I got official DX of DMII. That is why I mentioned getting DMII dx'ed first. I got that fixed, however.

I'm sorry about that. I don't have my terms down yet. I said hearing and should have said C&P exam. This will be my first. Thanks for your good advice.

Sorry I missed this before:

I had the heart attack before I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Do you have a vep rep? reason I ask is that if the etiology for the CAD was not the DMII then VA will not SC the heart disease.

However would your doctor be able to make a statement to support a claim of aggravation? That the DMII from AO aggravated the heart condition?

They would rate the percentage of what they would consider aggravation of a NSC condition (the CAD) due to an SC condition.

MANY Americans ,when having an initial heart attack, are then diagnosed with diabetes. It is one of the most undiagnosed conditions in the US.

My husband had a heart attack while employed at the VA. They misdiagnosed it as a sinus infection.

I proved years later it was a malpracticed heart attack.

I then proved fairly recently to VA that this initial heart disease was due to undiagnosed and untreated diabetes mellitus.

The word diabetes never once appears in his medical records.

Unfortunately OI believe (due to the extensive research I did to win those claims after he died, that any heart attack should be considered as potentially from undiagnosed DMII. A HBIAC test immediatelky after a heart attack cold be one good way of determining if in fact the CAD is drectly due to the DMII.

In your case)I read this so fast I missed something at first)in my opinion your claim should not only raise the NSC aggravation issueabove but also raise direct SC for the IHD due to the new AO presumptive regulations which are pending.

OK dates are going to be very important to you when you go to your C&P as stated by all before. Take a look at your private medical records or have a visit with your doctor before you go. Your time lines need to be in order and could mean the difference in getting service connected for one and thousands of dollars too!

When DXed for DM2 (this is very important) DM2 was added to the presumative list in 2001.

When where you DXed for PN?

When was the heart attack MI?

Now what the dates will show as in my case DM2 came first and then my body started to be influenced by it and the PN and Heart attack happened secondary to the DM2 so I am Service connected for all secondary and am being comped at 90%.

If your DM2 did not show up until later after the heart attack and after the PN you could be comped as low as 10% total.

AGAIN it is very important for you to go over your records with your doctor!

You may have a chance for the heart being connected IF the new presumatives are added. At that point you should file an appeal and you should win.

Good Luck to you!

My time line is:

Home from Vietnam and out of Army 1972

Heart attack in 1996, stent, diagnosis coronary artery disease

Treatment for hypertension sometime between 1996 and 2000

Treatment began for diabetes sometime around 2004

Looks like my heart disease will have to wait on Senator Webb and my diabetes claim will have to stand alone.

My time line is:

Home from Vietnam and out of Army 1972

Heart attack in 1996, stent, diagnosis coronary artery disease

Treatment for hypertension sometime between 1996 and 2000

Treatment began for diabetes sometime around 2004

Looks like my heart disease will have to wait on Senator Webb and my diabetes claim will have to stand alone.

Looks that way unless you can get your private doc to write a nexus letter saying your DM2 has aggravated your

conditions and the PN has worsened since you were DXed or if you do not have a dx for it yet the C&P might do it now.All of this is going to hang on your C&P.

As far as the heart goes I think that will eventually come down so I would definitely make sure you file for IHD.

Guest terrysturgis

When you go to your C&P, take copies of your outside medical treatment records revelant to your IHD, DMII, Neuropathy, etc. to help speed up your claim. Evidence wins claims. Good luck. Terry