VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Education For An 18 Year Old Dependant

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I need to find the form to fill out so I can keep my 18 year old on my claim. She is 18 but still going to school and starts college in the fall. Anyone know where the form is?

Thanks

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sharon, on 18 July 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

§ 3.57 Child.

(a) General. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the term child of the veteran means an unmarried person who is a legitimate child, a child legally adopted before the age of 18 years, a stepchild who acquired that status before the age of 18 years and who is a member of the veteran's household or was a member of the veteran's household at the time of the veteran's death, or an illegitimate child; and(i) Who is under the age of 18 years; or

(ii) Who, before reaching the age of 18 years, became permanently incapable of self-support; or

(iii) Who, after reaching the age of 18 years and until completion of education or training (but not after reaching the age of 23 years) is pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For the purposes of this section and §3.667, the term "educational institution" means a permanent organization that offers courses of instruction to a group of students who meet its enrollment criteria, including schools, colleges, academies, seminaries, technical institutes, and universities. The term also includes home schools that operate in compliance with the compulsory attendance laws of the States in which they are located, whether treated as private schools or home schools under State law. The term "home schools" is limited to courses of instruction for grades kindergarten through 12.

The form is a 21-674b. You child can stay on you award until age 23 as long as they are still in school.

Sharon, here are the two forms, I think the veteran must fill out the VA form 21-674 to get everything set up in the system and then the Veteran can fill out the VA form 21-674b as the school year changes or the semester changes. The Va form 21-674b is just an attendance report and VA must first approve the school even if it is a high school. If I am off/wrong please help me understand.

Thanks

http://www.palomar.e...orms/21-674.pdf

http://www.vba.va.go...21-674b-ARE.pdf

Also remember that Summer is an authorized break and you still get paid for it. If the child is in college, list the expected graduation date. That way you don't have to it every semester. You don't have to redo the form again uless the child changes schools or graduate early.

• HadIt.com Elder

Uhhh, me thinks that we have TWO seperate conversations going on here:

Are we discussing #1. the eligibility of a child under the veteran's "dependents" monthly increase in the veteran's basic disability compensation (the one whereby the VETERAN'S monthly payment is increased due to the existence of a dependent), or are we speaking of #2. the dependent's qualifications under the Chapter 35 Educational Assistance benefit (the one whereby the DEPENDENT(S) receive a monthly payment for their educational expenses)?

IF we are speaking of the Chap 35 benefits, that monthly payment is made directly do the dependent that is enrolled in a recognized program for education AFTER graduation from high school (it can be a college, a tech school, etc.) and it can be for up through the age of 26 (trust me on this one, my son just graduated from his Masters Degree program at the University of Louisiana and he IS 26 and he received his $915 a month while taking a full semester's load, BUT, when during the Summer Semester's when he took, say, only 6 credit hours, they only paid him like 1/2 of the $915.....and, if he took NO clases during the summer, he received $0.00).

So, are we talking about the #1 or the #2?

• HadIt.com Elder

Also remember that Summer is an authorized break and you still get paid for it. If the child is in college, list the expected graduation date. That way you don't have to it every semester. You don't have to redo the form again uless the child changes schools or graduate early.

Well, actually, if you are enrolled in a college or university, that college will have someone in the admissions/scholarship/finance department that will keep track of your student's credit hours, attendance, GPA, etc. and this functionary will be the one that will certify attendance to the VA Chap 35 peeps. And, BTW, the student is the one that will receive the monthly checks, not the veteran. And, they won't receive a check for those months that they are not taking classes (no summer pay unless they are taking summer classes).

just sayin................

LarryJ

Well, actually, if you are enrolled in a college or university, that college will have someone in the admissions/scholarship/finance department that will keep track of your student's credit hours, attendance, GPA, etc. and this functionary will be the one that will certify attendance to the VA Chap 35 peeps. And, BTW, the student is the one that will receive the monthly checks, not the veteran. And, they won't receive a check for those months that they are not taking classes (no summer pay unless they are taking summer classes).

just sayin................

I think we are talking about two separate different situations.

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected. The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected. The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Note: Depending on the type of training VA may or may not pay for semester breaks.

Hope This Makes Sense

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

I think we are talking about two separate different situations.

1. The first is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending high school/ college or some type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is not 100% service connected. The form would be VA form 21-674 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and if the dependent child stops attending classes or between semester changes to fill out the VA form 21-647b. The school may or may not complete this form and the veteran is responsible for overpayment. The veteran would receive this entitlement (money).

2. The second is a veteran that has a dependent child that is 18 or older and attending college or some other type of training that lives at home or not and the veteran is 100% P & T service connected. The form would be VA form 22-5490 for VA to approve the training of college or other training and yes the school would complete the certification and the dependent child would receive this entitlement (money). This would be a chapter 35 program.

Hope This Makes Sense

OH, GEEEEZ, my head, it goes round and round and my brain....OUCH....it hurts! This is WAY TOO MUCH thinkin'........let the little shits get a job! :rolleyes: