Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

See If We Can Help.

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I was introduced to a 66 year old in country Viet Nam Veteran today asking questions that I can not answer. He is on Social Security and has Medicaide and Medicare. He lives in what I believe is called Chapter 8 housing paying $160.00 a month for his rent. He has been to the Battle Creek VA with heart problems he had during the mid 80's.

Other people have advised him not to file a claim as the added income would effect his rent subsidy and also his Medicaide and Medicare. My question to you'all is that true? Thanks for your help. Terry Sturgis

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Frosty69

Yea I knew that. SSI/SSDI. I thought it was confusing enough to add the split situation.

My SSDI award would have been $250.00 a month. They made up the difference to the max of SSI which was $750.00 a month at that time. So I got $250.00 SSDI and $500.00 SSI for a total of $750.00 a month from SS benefits.

One side note is that my local office of the Social Security administration was to lazy to go through all the motions of setting it up right so they would not even process the SSDI claim. The gave me SSI because the total benefit was the $750.00 no matter how they did it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hoppy

Since you get SSI does that mean you can get food stamps and section 8 housing? Do you have medicade or medicare? Medicade is better since it pays for everything including dental and glasses. Sort of like 100% from the VA.