Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could It Be True?

Rate this topic

ollieee6

Greetings,

Yesterday I sent a message to the VA through IRIS requesting information concerning my pending reconsideration claim, and also a question regarding IU. I initially filed for a reconsideration for IU as well, but letter dropped the request, to only focus on my increase in benefits (30%) as of now. I asked should I reopen this claim as of now, or just wait until I get the decision on my increase.

Within 5 minutes I received a call from the rep at the VA and he informed me that he had just spoken to the rater over my claim. He informed me that my claim was all set to go, that they are just waiting on documents from SSA to verify the disability benefits I received since 2007. ( which were for the same sc disability)

Regarding the IU inquiry, I was informed that to reopen this claim would put a halt on my claim, and a long drawn out process. The rep stated that the rater said I could only be rated 100% only one time. Either P&T or IU, and for me not to worry with IU because 100% is 100%.. is this what I think it means? He told me to just relax and take it easy, that I should be receiving my letter within 30 days.

I'll keep everyone posted. This website has really saved my life. Not to get ahead of myself, but I am very proud of everyone who posts their opinions and ideas, even their personal claim information. With the help of this site, I put together a well documented claim and I feel very confident on the outcome.

Could it be true? 100%???

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, It COULD be true, but I have not seen it happen that way..that is, no one has ever called me to tell me that I had been approved and the letter will follow.

I either get the letter or I dont, and most of the time, the VARO knew for weeks before I got the letter and never called me. Recently, however, I got an advance letter from the DAV stating that I was going to be denied. Sure enough, a week later the RO denial letter comes.

I think you should have "cautious optimism". Here is what I would do.

Lets say you anticipate a "retro" of 20,000. Make 3 lists:

1. Retro is 20,000.

2. Retro is more, say 50,000

3 Retro is less, say 10,000.

Then do some planning. As a former financial plannner, I know that planning is critical.

Try to avoid "impluse" decisions..they usually arent that good.

Make a list of things you have always wanted: Car, boat, ski doo, clothes, new bathroom etc. Then assign each a "budget"..for example you may want to put a $5000 limit on a car...maybe the bathroom might be 2000 etc.

Then prioritize the list.

Have BOTH...some money for "fun" and some for investments/savings. Its probably not to early to start talking to a financial counselor. Dont tell them you are waiting on money..just ask for information.

You might wind up with a list, like this:

2. Retro is 50,000 plus:

1. pick a car at no more than $5000

2. pay off $3000 credit cards.

3. Go on a trip with a $1500 budget.

4. Have "fun" with 500..buy clothes, new fishing poles, donate to hadit if you like.

5. Put 10,000 in savings for emergencies..broken water heaters, car break down, new roof, etc.

6. Invest the other $30,000. One possibility, if you would like to increase your income is to get dividend stocks. A possible example is a company like AT&T. (Stock symbol is "T". It is a very well known company, with a good dividend history. Each share pays a quartely dividend of 42 cents. Since the stock is right at about $25. per share, that means you will be getting a dividend of 6.7%. Altho the dividends are taxable, that should not be too big of a concern unless your spouse is making a lot of money and u have a tax problem, because VA benefits are non taxable. If you just spend the dividend, and not your principal, you will have about $2000 per year extra to spend...and never touch your principal. Altho dividends are not guarnteed, they can also go UP..as well as down. Please dont use this as financial advice and be sure and consult with your tax professional..as I do not know your financial situation, stocks may/may not be right for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Lets hope that its 100%. As far as I am concerned 100% is 100% but needs P&T. If you are not happy you can appeal while being paid.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use