Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It's Great To Be Here - Ptsd And Jp-8 Fuel Exposure

Rate this question

DiEsMiTtY

Question

Hello I'm smitty an Oef/OIF marine corps veteran. I am really glad there is a site like this. I started dealing with the VA on the onset of 2004. I was immedatly discourged by the staff at James A Haley VA Hospital. The a large part of the staff there are flat out rude. Thank god for the Vet Center, at the vet center you can tell these people want to help and are simpathetic. It wasn't until 2009 that I filed my current claim for PTSD, tinnitus, anxiety, and highblood pressure. Less than a month later hey denied my claim flat out. Two weeks later they amended he denial because of new evidence. I finally had my C n P exams in June and I am currently in limbo. I started calling the 800 number every week and sending in email inquiries to iris. Also I'm preparing evidence from private docotrs for my inevidable denials. I am in the process of getting buddy letters from senior staff NCOs. The county Vso actually discouraged me from sending in buddy letters the first time, so I'm going to get a new vso if I am denied. I have two questions. I was trying to link my anxiety to jp8 exposure since it can cause that. Has anyone had side effects from jp8. Question two isn't really claims related, more of mild curiosty when I was in camp coyote there was this sign by the road saying danger radation no stoping. Has anyone seen that before.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you have PTSD and agoraphobia how can you work. This might rate a 100% rating and housebound.

Oh I work, but I am pretty lucky 90 percent of the time I work I dont interact with outside people. I work with a partner everyday, same person and we have a great realtionship. But there are days when the wind will blow or the person next to me sneezes and I will be massively irratated and unable to calm down or relax. Then there are days where I just cant get out of bed so I burn a sick day. Leadership at my work was military friendly and understanding. I work cause I have to, there was a time when I didnt, there was a time when I would skip job interveiws. Bottom line is I have to put food on the table for my lady and myself. The Marine Corps taught me how to suck it the heck up, they just didnt teach me what to do with it once I sucked it up. I am alot better now than I was, but nowhere close to "normal".

• Founder

Welcome Aboard!

I am moving this topic to VA Claims Research so we can get more eyes on it. I also love the Veterans Center, I've going about once a week for about 11 years, I couldn't make it without my psychologist there.

In my opinion the PTSD claim is the one to go for, you have a diagnosis, you have stressors. Once that is settled you can go for the JP-8 fuel exposure. Now I am no expert and other's should chime in with their ideas.

It is documented that I was treated for Chemical Dermatitis on several occasions, it is also documented on a post deployment screening that I was constantly exposed to high volumes of JP-8. I always ended up attached to refueling sections. or being the NCOIC for the bulk liquids section. I also recieved a Navy Marine Corps Commendation medal for setting these systems up and training othere marines to operate them, there is proof that I worked with the JP-8 and was exposed to it. However there are not very many studies on the effects of exposure to JP-8 on a human for any type of long term exposure. However there is a study that might help me with my hearing loss. A study found that lab rights had audiotory impairment when exposed to JP-8. The amounts of fuel I dispensed during the initial phases of OIF are astronmical, and this wasnt the only place I handled fuel systems at. The environmental people at the VA ran me through there program and that was that. So I am regrouping trying to ger alot of ducks in a row for round two.

I would like to chat with you and share my fuel exposure info with you..

thanx..