Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Va Always Do A C&p, Even For Existing Cond.?

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I submitted a completed 21-4138 a few days ago ( I love VONAPP) based on radiculopathy in my left leg. I am rated in my right leg 10% for it, based on a C & P from 2002. I have not had any requested exams from them since then, and other than acute attacks of pain, dealt with via medication (motrin, ultram, flexaril) and lots of conservative maintenance, I really don't have a lot to contribute to this, information wise. I don't go to the doctor all the time for something I already know how to deal with and I feel self conscious going to the VA anyway since im 33. They don't have a lot of younger vets there, mostly older folks, and I feel really self conscious, but I digress.<br style="min-width: 0px; "> I didn't just waste some raters time, did I? Should I have done it a different way? It's not an overall increase, but a request to consider that the already existing condition in one legs extremeties be granted for the other legs extremities. Should I have, for future reference gone in every time my back hurt or when there was numbness in my left leg? I keep a journal of sorts for this, will that make a difference? ill still have a chance to provide more supporting evidence?

Thanks!

*submission below*

I would like to respectfully request in increase to my currently rated10% radiculopathy in my right leg to include intermittant pain andradiculopathy in my left leg.I was intially rated for DDD, lower spine in 2002, but not specificallyfor radiculopathy. I requested an increase in 2002 for increased sciatic pain andradiculopathy and was granted 10% for my right leg at that time, based onmy examination and case notes. During that examination at that time I wasnot experiencing any tingling or numbness in my left leg, but wasexperienceing sciatic pain radiating from my lower back, and musclespasms and general pain. Over the years since 2002 I have noted that thatpins and needles feeling now extends into my left leg, most noticibly inmy toes. It has always been there, to some degree, and I don't know whyit wasn't noted in 2002 or 2006-most likely through my omitting it duringquestioning or the 2006 exam wasn't related to my back.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">This pain and radiating numbness in both legs is intermittant,and daily,and noted in my initial MRI findings from Portsmouth Naval Medical (Dr.Mayhr (sp)) and sciatic pain and radiculopathy was noted in my C & P in2006 by as well. It was not initially granted with the radiculopathy ofmy right leg, either by oversight, or by omission on my part because Ididn't specifically mention it in conjunction with the other conditions.This daily pain and numbness makes it difficult to enjoy much of my dailyactivty. It starts in my lower spine and extends into my buttocks anddown into both legs. At work I have to change positions every hour 3 or 4times, standing/sitting etc, and the longer I sit the more it hurts. Idon't drive long distance, I don't chase my kids around, I have somedifficulty with exercising and with relations with my wife. The painitself is not more pronounced or increased overall, but its moving into anew region, to me, is notable.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">Please respectfully consider my request for an increase to my 10% ratingfor radiculopathy to either extend to my left leg as a separate rating,or to be included with that of my right leg bilaterally.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">You will find all current information in my C file, the original MRIfindings, and my C & P records and narratve summaries from 2002.Since this is not a substantial increase in anything symptomatic, but anacknowledgement of a continuing condtion, I have not requested specificexams with my GP for this. I continue to take lots of OTC Motrin (800 MGx 4 times a day, sometimes more) and naproxen, and spend a lot of time being reallycareful how I move. I have not requested stronger pain medicationspartially due to fear of their effects, and partially because I work in atechnical job that requires me to be 'sharp' mentally.<br style="min-width: 0px; ">Thank you for your time.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I haven't been to see VA in a really long time, only for C and P stuff. I have a hard time thinking of them as a 'medical facility' like a regular doctor, despite knowing that I can go to them for even non-svc connected stuff, and I hate going to the doctor in general. I thought about going to see my GP since I can get in to see her faster but I should probably just call the local VA clinic and get in there.

So, despite the existence of the condition in the other leg, my dealing with it without going in every now and then is hurting my chances. It sounds so obvious. :-)

Thanks!

CAS

What you can try to do is make an appointment with your PCP or the doctor that treats your condition and go from there. It will take VA some time so you have time to go see a doctor.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I haven't been to see VA in a really long time, only for C and P stuff. I have a hard time thinking of them as a 'medical facility' like a regular doctor, despite knowing that I can go to them for even non-svc connected stuff, and I hate going to the doctor in general. I thought about going to see my GP since I can get in to see her faster but I should probably just call the local VA clinic and get in there.

So, despite the existence of the condition in the other leg, my dealing with it without going in every now and then is hurting my chances. It sounds so obvious. :-)

Thanks!

I guess GP means general practitioner but it really does not matter if you see a VA doctor or a private doctor but it would be best to see one of them before you have your C & P exam. In trying to process your claim, VA will ask if you have seen a doctor, if by chance you get into seeing one, you can have VA contact them or you can send the records to VA. Also, by not seeing a doctor your condition could get worst . No one likes to go to see a doctor but if you need the help you need to go before your condition gets worst.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

YUP! What Pete just said.

Get yourself in to see your Primary Care Physician at the VA and lay it all on the line. Explain to him/her about your legs, tell them it is making for much worse and ask them what they can do for you.

BUT, in doing so, you are making for you a trail, a trail of treatment, proving to the VA that you do, indeed, have some problems (and, besides, the VA really does like a paper trail and they really do like to be able to look at their work and see that they are at least TRYING to make a difference in veterans lives (I truly believe this, I believe that the MEDICAL personnel, on the whole, WANT to help and try as they might, they DO help, they have helped me, personally). So, give 'em a chance to help and, in so doing, establish yourself a positive history, something that the claims people can check, something concrete in you claim. And, as for you being "young" and most of us old farts are there, so what, we know that the young folks that have followed on in our footsteps, we know that you need help also, and we are making room for you, for you are us, 30 years from now.

Semper Fi!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

10-4.

Ill work on that this week. My GP always wondered why I never see her about my back-Ive got my C-file and old MRI's I just didn't want to hit her with a stack of papers. My prior rated stuff was all rated on the basis of service records or the C & P's that I had. That was the only paper trail I had at the time. Ill get VA and my doctor and we'll see which one wins. Since ive submitted the request via VONAPP, Ill still get a chance to add more information, right? Would it be faster to get copies and then send them via VONAPP as attachments, or just send them to the RO (which is actually just 2 miles from my house)? Can VONAPP be used to update things, or only for the initial filing/request?

YUP! What Pete just said.

Get yourself in to see your Primary Care Physician at the VA and lay it all on the line. Explain to him/her about your legs, tell them it is making for much worse and ask them what they can do for you.

BUT, in doing so, you are making for you a trail, a trail of treatment, proving to the VA that you do, indeed, have some problems (and, besides, the VA really does like a paper trail and they really do like to be able to look at their work and see that they are at least TRYING to make a difference in veterans lives (I truly believe this, I believe that the MEDICAL personnel, on the whole, WANT to help and try as they might, they DO help, they have helped me, personally). So, give 'em a chance to help and, in so doing, establish yourself a positive history, something that the claims people can check, something concrete in you claim. And, as for you being "young" and most of us old farts are there, so what, we know that the young folks that have followed on in our footsteps, we know that you need help also, and we are making room for you, for you are us, 30 years from now.

Semper Fi!

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

I have one other concern....if I show up to my GP with a stack of military medical stuff, is BC/BS going to cover it? Dont' they have some kind of thing about not treating injuries incurred during service? My IVDS, and radiculopathy do not appear in my civvie records at all.....

10-4.

Ill work on that this week. My GP always wondered why I never see her about my back-Ive got my C-file and old MRI's I just didn't want to hit her with a stack of papers. My prior rated stuff was all rated on the basis of service records or the C & P's that I had. That was the only paper trail I had at the time. Ill get VA and my doctor and we'll see which one wins. Since ive submitted the request via VONAPP, Ill still get a chance to add more information, right? Would it be faster to get copies and then send them via VONAPP as attachments, or just send them to the RO (which is actually just 2 miles from my house)? Can VONAPP be used to update things, or only for the initial filing/request?

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

• HadIt.com Elder

10-4.

I've only used VONAPP's to turn in INITIAL claims (first-time claims, #21-526's) so I have no experience with sending "attachments" via VONAPP's.

HOWEVER, I do have a LARGE amount of experience in TURNING in claims. First off, when I or one of the veterans that I help has a claim (either a non-formal claim or a formal claim using the appropriate VA forms) I FAX that puppy in to the Regional Office that would be appropriate for that veteran (I have claims that I am now working in 5 different states and in 8 different Regional Offices) so FAXing them is the quickest way for me to start to handle these claims).

Then, when I get time, I make copies and MAIL the claims in via FedEx. I have been known to DRIVE the 120 miles to the Regional Office in Waco (TX) to turn in a claim if the drop-dead date is dangerously close. And, in your instance, that is exactly what I would do, take two copies of your paperwork and hand them one and then hand them the other and tell 'em to date stamp your copy as received, especially if you are only a couple miles from your Regional Office.

(you can NEVER be TOO MUCH CAREFUL when dealing with an organization that has the inglorious reputation of SHREDDING veterans' claims, ya know)

OH, and ALWAYS PUT YOUR "CLAIM NUMBER" neatly in the upper right-hand corner of EACH AND EVERY piece of paper that you give to the VA.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS....................

(I had a rubber stamp made with my claim number, I really did, you could hear me (and still can, sometimes) up late at night, going "thump-ka-thump-ka-thump.............", getting ready to send off another stack of papers......SO WHAT IF I'M ANAL RETENTIVE!)

Edited by LarryJ

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph