Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Clothing Allowances



I am rated at 100% P&T, I had my appt w/ my VA PCP doc yesterday. my left knee is djd Sc'ed & I wear a knee sleeve. my VA doc asked me if I wanted a knee brace for it & i said yes. she got on her computer & put it in to the orthro dept. 1 hour later iu went to the dept & got it. is it possible for me to put in for the annual clothing allowance? do i have to be examined by a orthro doc & get prescribed for a metal knee brace because it may be denied because my primary doc is not a orthro doc?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Its been along time since I went through this, but I think it is Prosthetics that make this call.........I would call them to verify the procedure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems to me you should be able to if you were approved once. Just apply.





Sec. 1162. Clothing allowance

The Secretary under regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe,

shall pay a clothing allowance of $662 per year to each veteran who--

(1) because of a service-connected disability, wears or uses a

prosthetic or orthopedic appliance (including a wheelchair) which

the Secretary determines tends to wear out or tear the clothing of

the veteran; or

(2) uses medication which (A) a physician has prescribed for a

skin condition which is due to a service-connected disability, and

(B) the Secretary determines causes irreparable damage to the veteran's outergarments.

If you run into the problem of being denied one of several items you may need to order please see...

United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit





JAMES B. PEAKE, M.D., Secretary of Veterans Affairs,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put in and received due to medications. All I had to do was supply a copy of my current medications - in your case your use of equipment - and the required form to the prosthetics office at my VAMC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Our picks

  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines