VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

And, The V A People Wonder Why We Veterans.....

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Could it be things like THIS!

THREE opinions positive for PTSD.

Receiving TREATMENT FROM A VA PSYCHIATRIST AND TWO VA PSYCHOLOGISTS for PTSD!

Fourteen Months in I Corps.

USMC

....and he gets this!

post-1306-016209300 1280362944_thumb.jpg

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

USMC

....and he gets this!

Larry,

Is the medical evidence from his treating MH providers listed in the evidence section

as that should bring the BOD into play with the tie going to the veteran ?

Did you get a copy of the VA examiners C&P ?

Those B^%$*(&#.

• HadIt.com Elder

USMC

....and he gets this!

Ah, but what did the C&P examination show? Diagnosis and treatment for PTSD symptoms at an outpatient clinic (even one operated by the VA) are not enough. A formal diagnosis of PTSD must conform to the DSM-IV. If you're a vet, and you're complaining of symptoms that could be PTSD, and if you claim that it's PTSD to the medical provider, they are GOING to treat you because you're sick, and they're going to enter it into their computer system as PTSD. BUt that's not a diagnosis.

To get service connection for PTSD requires an in-service stressor, a formal diagnosis of PTSD that satisfies the DSM-IV, and a nexus opinion by the examiner that states that the PTSD is at least as likely as not caused by that particular stressor.

Some vets are mentally ill. That doesn't mean that what's wrong with them is PTSD though. Sometimes the C&P exams say things like "This veteran doesn't suffer from PTSD, he suffers from drug induced psychosis due to crack addiction." Or sometimes it's bipolar or schizophrenia or just depression, but whatever it is, it's not PTSD. When I can, I still try to find a way to service connect whatever is wrong with them, whether it be through presumptive conditions for psychoses manifesting within a year of discharge, or perhaps signs and symptoms in service that may let me get a medical opinion that asks whether this veteran's disciplinary actions in service were early manifestations of their current psychiatric disorder.

Not everyone has PTSD. And not everyone's PTSD is due to in-service stressors. There's a whole universe of mental illnesses out there, and I have seen almost all of them claimed as PTSD when it's really not.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Holy Crap, Reading that just made my blood BOIL!! Rat #$#%terds!!

This Decision can be turned around during a DRO or personal hearing.

If he hasn't done so already, the treating psychiatrist needs to kill this opinion with a mighty sword (pen and ink, I mean).

He has been formally diagnosed with PTSD, right?

~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Ah, but what did the C&P examination show? Diagnosis and treatment for PTSD symptoms at an outpatient clinic (even one operated by the VA) are not enough. A formal diagnosis of PTSD must conform to the DSM-IV. If you're a vet, and you're complaining of symptoms that could be PTSD, and if you claim that it's PTSD to the medical provider, they are GOING to treat you because you're sick, and they're going to enter it into their computer system as PTSD. BUt that's not a diagnosis.

To get service connection for PTSD requires an in-service stressor, a formal diagnosis of PTSD that satisfies the DSM-IV, and a nexus opinion by the examiner that states that the PTSD is at least as likely as not caused by that particular stressor.

Some vets are mentally ill. That doesn't mean that what's wrong with them is PTSD though. Sometimes the C&P exams say things like "This veteran doesn't suffer from PTSD, he suffers from drug induced psychosis due to crack addiction." Or sometimes it's bipolar or schizophrenia or just depression, but whatever it is, it's not PTSD. When I can, I still try to find a way to service connect whatever is wrong with them, whether it be through presumptive conditions for psychoses manifesting within a year of discharge, or perhaps signs and symptoms in service that may let me get a medical opinion that asks whether this veteran's disciplinary actions in service were early manifestations of their current psychiatric disorder.

Not everyone has PTSD. And not everyone's PTSD is due to in-service stressors. There's a whole universe of mental illnesses out there, and I have seen almost all of them claimed as PTSD when it's really not.

Ah, but you see James, therein lies the problem. And, as I said, THREE healthcare professionals, all VA employees, diagnosed this veteran with PTSD, one a board certified phsychiatrist M.D., two Texas State Board Psychologists............and ONE C&P from an Advanced Practice R.N. for the VA to hang your denial on. It just sorta rubbed me the wrong way when I have spent all day trying to help this veteran, and I never should have ever even HEARD about this travesity. Should I?

post-1306-042043100 1280372369_thumb.jpgpost-1306-020678900 1280372405_thumb.jpgpost-1306-042375400 1280372470_thumb.jpgpost-1306-038705500 1280372508_thumb.jpgpost-1306-027881400 1280372597_thumb.jpgpost-1306-036737700 1280372630_thumb.jpgpost-1306-035381500 1280372662_thumb.jpgpost-1306-085587000 1280372704_thumb.jpgpost-1306-036865000 1280372737_thumb.jpgpost-1306-057822400 1280372772_thumb.jpgpost-1306-076790800 1280372806_thumb.jpgpost-1306-064804100 1280372846_thumb.jpg

Whatcha say we do something about this? I'll try..........................

Edited by LarryJ

In a situation like this, my first stop would be his senator or congressmans office. We as veterans need to understand that the problems with the VA cant be fixed unless they are identified, explicitly, by those capable of fixing the problems. Then we hound those persons mercilessly, but by the numbers, not senseless ranting and raving like lunatics.

Case in point, I have been requesting a CT colonoscopy for about 9 months. The VA has steadfastly denied the simple 15 minute procedure on the grounds that I am too young to warrant the expense. I pointed out my symptoms and the fact that Desert Storm Veterans are presumptive for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I kept meticulous details or my interactions with the VA, then took the whole ball of wax into my senators office. Sure enough, I got the procedure done within a few days, and sure enough I got diagnosed with diverticulitis and an umbilical hernia.

Now, the 2 page letter I submitted to my senator did include a news article on the VA infecting veterans with HIV and HEP-C, a letter from Shinseki saying the infections were VA-wide and would most likely continue, and another letter where a VA administrator admitted openly that the VA doctors and staff were delaying or denying care to make their own numbers look better. Plus I included the VA Fast Letter on presumptive diseases. The VA is now in full panic mode, and I have been (finally) authorized Fee-Basis for a colonoscope, endoscope, and in house care for Chiropractic (I been asking for that for about a year) and a consult with an Endocrinologist (been asking a year for that too). I have all my evidence, and my blood sugar puts me well into Diabetes and my feet and toes are painful 24/7. When I get a formal diagnosis of Diabetes, the VA will be looking at a big, fat FTCA lawsuit.

I even managed to get a few calls from one of the head honchos in Washington DC about my situation. He told me he was bringing my case into one of the VA oversight sessions to use as ammunition against the VA, he called it a "trajectory issue" or something like that. So if someone would take this Marine and his PTSD SNAFU to his local politicians, it may help shine some light on how screwed up the VA is. Provided his local politicians care about veterans issues.

Since my recent responses, I have kinda come to see that the VA blows a lot of smoke up the collective butts of congress, and so very few of us actually go into rant mode when we get the shaft from the VA. So my advice is to document every screw-up the VA does, BY THE NUMBERS, then put together a very well documented letter to your senator. With this Marine, I would start with the fast-letter from last year where a VA drone was ordering her people to avoid giving out a diagnosis of PTSD, then build it up from there.

Just my two cents.