Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

7 Weeks To Get In To See My Va Pcp.

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I called my VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic on Monday to make an appointment to see my PCP. I expected that it would be a while, maybe a week, since it's a very busy clinic and sorely understaffed. I guess I should say that I actually called the call center that handles scheduling.

The pleasant lady on the phone (after holding for 6 minutes of truly annoying and jarring music) told me the earliest she could get me in is September 27th. Seven weeks. I asked to be put on a cancellation list, but she told me not to get my hopes up.

I want to see the PCP because I'm having some problems that need looking at, and I have to go through her to see about trying to get Fee for Service for my podiatrist (they have no podiatrist on staff at the clinic, and it's for SC problems). I'm not about to die, I don't think, and the VAMC emergency room is nearly 100 miles away. Plus, frankly, I'm really afraid if I went there I'd have a PTSD panic attack and wind up being admitted to the psych ward. I hate going to the VAMC, it's always very stressful.

So I guess I'm going to wait the 7 weeks to see the VA PCP. Meanwhile, I'm going to see a private doctor, just in case my troubles are more serious than I thought. Trouble is that our health insurance pays next to nothing for lab work, and dammit, the VA is supposed to be providing care.

This clinic is fairly new, just re-opened this year after being in another nearby small town. The building is very nice, but the new management can't seem to keep staff (my podiatrist was there and quit over a conflict about proper sterilization techniques - their standards were lower than hers and she refused to adapt). The old clinic was managed by a local hospital, and this new one is managed by a medical corporation based in Georgia or someplace. At the old clinic I used to be able to get in to see the PCP the same week I called, sometimes the same day...

What really makes this annoying, besides the possibility of a condition deteriorating to where it really is an emergency, is that this new clinic has been bragging all over the place that the vets love them and how wonderful the new place is doing serving vets in the area. They've been in the paper several times with the lovely photo op of happy vets in the waiting room, and a smiling staffer handing the wheelchair bound vet a paper. They've never admitted to the staff shortage, or the repeated scheduling botch-ups, or the canceled appointments that they failed to notify people of when a staff member quits.

Anyhow, who do I complain to about the staff shortage and the 7 week wait for primary care? Will an IRIS do anything? Am I unreasonable in thinking 7 weeks is a long time?

Edited by hedgey

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would call back and say your foot is hurting like hell and you need to see the PCP ASAP. Tell them you have severe pain and you will go to the VA ER if you can't see your PCP. That might speed them up. Other than emergency 7 weeks is not long to see PCP for anything non emergency.

John, thanks for your reply. I feel better, knowing that it's not unusual to have such a long wait. Not thrilled, but better.

I guess the old clinic spoiled me. It was my first VA healthcare experience, and they had told me that they "were my doctor", that I could call them for acute issues as well as for routine things. I went to see my PCP there a few times for problems that cropped up between visits, and it was always only a day or two to get in.

I suppose it wouldn't bother me if they didn't make so much noise about being there for the vets, and how the local vet community is receiving outstanding care from the new clinic. I don't think most people have to wait 7 weeks to see their private PCPs... I sure never did.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a grumbly whiner.

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

I called my VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic on Monday to make an appointment to see my PCP. I expected that it would be a while, maybe a week, since it's a very busy clinic and sorely understaffed. I guess I should say that I actually called the call center that handles scheduling.

The pleasant lady on the phone (after holding for 6 minutes of truly annoying and jarring music) told me the earliest she could get me in is September 27th. Seven weeks. I asked to be put on a cancellation list, but she told me not to get my hopes up.

I want to see the PCP because I'm having some problems that need looking at, and I have to go through her to see about trying to get Fee for Service for my podiatrist (they have no podiatrist on staff at the clinic, and it's for SC problems). I'm not about to die, I don't think, and the VAMC emergency room is nearly 100 miles away. Plus, frankly, I'm really afraid if I went there I'd have a PTSD panic attack and wind up being admitted to the psych ward. I hate going to the VAMC, it's always very stressful.

So I guess I'm going to wait the 7 weeks to see the VA PCP. Meanwhile, I'm going to see a private doctor, just in case my troubles are more serious than I thought. Trouble is that our health insurance pays next to nothing for lab work, and dammit, the VA is supposed to be providing care.

This clinic is fairly new, just re-opened this year after being in another nearby small town. The building is very nice, but the new management can't seem to keep staff (my podiatrist was there and quit over a conflict about proper sterilization techniques - their standards were lower than hers and she refused to adapt). The old clinic was managed by a local hospital, and this new one is managed by a medical corporation based in Georgia or someplace. At the old clinic I used to be able to get in to see the PCP the same week I called, sometimes the same day...

What really makes this annoying, besides the possibility of a condition deteriorating to where it really is an emergency, is that this new clinic has been bragging all over the place that the vets love them and how wonderful the new place is doing serving vets in the area. They've been in the paper several times with the lovely photo op of happy vets in the waiting room, and a smiling staffer handing the wheelchair bound vet a paper. They've never admitted to the staff shortage, or the repeated scheduling botch-ups, or the canceled appointments that they failed to notify people of when a staff member quits.

Anyhow, who do I complain to about the staff shortage and the 7 week wait for primary care? Will an IRIS do anything? Am I unreasonable in thinking 7 weeks is a long time?

Does this place have a walk-in clinic? Not sure if they call it an emergency room clinic or not but a clinic where a veteran can walk in during working hours to get treated. What's the point of telling them if you can't see your PCP that you will go to the ER, Just go. Here's the thing, if your foot is causing that much pain and problems you need to be seen now. Keep in mind that after you wait and see your PCP then you have to get some type of consult or fee basis and that is even more time that you have to wait.

Hope the Best

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

I should warn you I look at things a little different than others. I understand that CBOC's are great to have & if I had one locally I probably would use it. BUT I go to the VAMC because if I need something it's there. I have no stomach for this wait weeks(PTSD showing, again) & then will have to send you somewhere for tests & then on & on. It may not be possible for you to go to a VAMC, but I believe that is best for most vets. Your profile lists you at 20%-so, (no disrespect) you are not a priority to the VA.

Page 4 of the Federal Benefits for Veterans Handbook, says "Veterans who are 50 percent or more disabled from service-connect conditions, unemployable due to service-connected conditions or receiving care for service-connected disability receive priority in scheduling of hospital outpatient medical appointments."

Since many HADIT member don't have current S/C % listed this may apply to you. Also if ifs S/C Disability, this applies. I'm lucky, I call TAPS Line & most of time my PCP calls back same day. At times she offers to see me that day or next day. Of course, referrals to other clinics take longer.

Keep calling

Good Luck,

Don

Seems like Most VAMC's have triage psyhc a few days a week.....Emergency situations seem to achieve faster results in obtaining a PCP quicker....Experience.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Seven weeks is a little long of a wait. BUT, bear in mind what they are NOT telling you. It is summer-time, correct. Everybody and their brother is out on VACATION, and, also, everybody that has kids, if their kids need elective surgery, it happens during the summer (not saying that the veteran's kids are having surgery, BUT, the clinicians' kids...........my wife The Nurse is charge nurse in one of the larger recovery rooms in Dallas, her pediatric patient load TODAY is 35 (she just called me and told me she'd be late getting home, because.......).

I just made an appointment to see my civilian urologist...........three weeks they will try to "work me in".

Take deep breaths...........in through the nose, out through the mouth.............smell the roses.......blow out the candles.................contemplate your navel....and, like you said, you ain't dyin'..........

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph