Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And Va Dis

Rate this question

Aquabear

Question

If I get SS Disability will it at all help with my increase in disability?

I have read some comments on here but nothing specific meaning whether to send the ss disab approval to VA to help my case.

I can add more info regarding disability if necessary.

thanks,

Aquabear.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If the SSA disability award is solely for the same SC condition, that award almost always warrants TDIU. (Washington V Derwinski)

The VA needs to be aware if the SSA award and then obtain the SSA records. (Murincsak v. Derwinski, )

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats I was in my forties when I got SSD. Some of the problems was busy bodies asking how I got by without working. I found out for me the best thing was to ask them a question and move on with another topic. I found the less people I told the better as many people for some unfortunate reason think of disability as welfare.

Good Luck

Thanks Pete53, thats some great advice. I need to hear and do things like this so as not to add to the stress I already have.

Also tanhk you Berta and Carlie.

YES!

SSDI (Not SSI) and VA SC comp (not VA NSC pension)can be received at the same time.

I have contacted my attorney and hope to meet him sometime soon, maybe today. I have written up some things to talk discuss but I'd like to get feedback from everyone here.

1. I know I have to fill out TDIU form 21-8940. Should I do this online with the VA system (VONAPP ?, insert name please) or mail it in. Faster online?

2. I have a claim waiting to rate for right hip but TDIU I believe is more inportant to get it in now than waiting for the rating. Hip maybe 10%, TDIU 100%.

3. Do I send in the SS acceptance letter with the TDIU 21-8940 form? Scan it and send with the VA online system? IIt's about 6 pages.

4. On the TDIU form do I explicit state I want the date of TDIU to start when the SSD started or send in a letter with the TDIU form- Judge put Nov 2009 start date for SSD vs March 2009 orig file SS papers date.

5. I wanted to show my attorney the court doc info of Washington v Derwinski but a google searh came up blank - can anyone direct me online where to find this info?

Again, thank you.