Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And Va Dis

Rate this question

Aquabear

Question

If I get SS Disability will it at all help with my increase in disability?

I have read some comments on here but nothing specific meaning whether to send the ss disab approval to VA to help my case.

I can add more info regarding disability if necessary.

thanks,

Aquabear.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get SSDI based solely on a service connected disability.

Note that both VA and SSA are animat about their individual and separate disability systems and will tell you one has no bearing on the other.

SSDI uses this: The disability must keep you from working for a period of 1 year or result in death.

The VA disability is the percentage of lost earnings capacity your disability has cost you.

Hope this helps.

J

Well I don't know the answer but I am basically doing the same thing. I was just awarded 100% P/T + housebound by the VA and filed for SSDI just last month. I have not heard anything from SS yet and did not send my approval letter to SS.

Don't ask me why cause I just am not sure. I would expect that SS can look at my medical conditions and come up with the same conclusion if not it will be interesting what they say.

Please let us know how it goes and I will do the same.

• HadIt.com Elder

StillHere

If it was me I would get a letter from a doctor who will say exactly what Jbasser said about you being disabled for at least one year. That is the format they like to see. I did that and got my SSD in about 4 months. They will also send you a form to fill out that has a self-inventory about what you can and can't do. If you are wise you will say you need help wiping your @#$. You can't drive. You can't prepare food. You need help doing basic chores of life. SSD wants you really disabled. Generally speaking, getting IU or 100% from the VA is a much lower standard than the SSD. The VA is just so much more messed up than SSD. With SSD you should get an answer back in a few months Yea or Nay. Your SSD file does not look like your C-file with moths flying out of it. The SSD expects you will hire a lawyer if you are denied.

Holee moly I got approved for SSD, got letter yesterday. I am so relieved that I can get help with our (wife and I) finances. Happy I got it but yet sad that at 39 years old/young I am on ssd. Thru VA Voc RehabI am going to college but I barely am able to do that.

Doing research, I can't find it but thought I read that if your approved for Social security disability for the condition of your VA disability that VA Disability is supposed to go up or you can get umm a temporary 100% disability rating? is that correct??

Also, I remember reading that there is a ummm hardship thing to push the 100% disability faster? Correct??

I will post my win on the win forum, my wife and I are so happy we have this. A win can take so long with the VA and it's the most stressful thing to deal with them and your disability at the same time.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Holee moly I got approved for SSD, got letter yesterday. I am so relieved that I can get help with our (wife and I) finances. Happy I got it but yet sad that at 39 years old/young I am on ssd. Thru VA Voc RehabI am going to college but I barely am able to do that.

Doing research, I can't find it but thought I read that if your approved for Social security disability for the condition of your VA disability that VA Disability is supposed to go up or you can get umm a temporary 100% disability rating? is that correct??

Also, I remember reading that there is a ummm hardship thing to push the 100% disability faster? Correct??

I will post my win on the win forum, my wife and I are so happy we have this. A win can take so long with the VA and it's the most stressful thing to deal with them and your disability at the same time.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Aqua,

This is a duplicate post as the one in the Success Forum.

Sorry about the double post.

Rephrase the question: How can the SS Disab decision be used to help increase in a current VA disability? If I have a current rating for my lumber and left hip (right hip is waiting for rating). The SS decision was granted due "severe impairments: degenerative and lumbar discs.