Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smr Records

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I can't figure this out! When I received copies of my SMR there wasn't a hospital record of my airbourne accident which was the only proof of it. The only record in my SMR was my exiting exam which I stated the accident in. But I still was awarded 30%, increased to 60% on right knee. NOW, I'm not complaining trust me! I was just wondering if the VA has any records that I don't? I'm about 100% sure they didn't award my claim just on my statement aone. I'm sure it's has to be that hospital record that I don't have. Has anybody been thru this before? I mean besides getting copies of my c:file, in which I'm going to do.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The first time I asked for my SMR it was incomplete and the 2nd time only added very little. When I filed my statement in support of claim I stated that my SMR were incomplete and sited 2 incidents (1 being a broken hand) that were not listed in the records to support my claim they my SMR are incomplete. I was awarded 4 out of 5 claims in the end.

I was going request another copy of m SMR but I thought I'd wait to see what's in my c:file first. That's ironic I also had a fractured wrist that WASN'T in my SMR!

So are saying that even though you didn't have the records but va did? How many of the 5 claims did you NOT have records of that was awarded? Your info culd very

well help me!

Cooter, make an appointment to go to the RO to look at your file. You will be surprised what you find.

J

Question for ya jbasser. Does RO keep a complete record of a vets SMR or do they just have the SMR only for a claim thats been filed? How does that work?

• HadIt.com Elder

Question for ya jbasser. Does RO keep a complete record of a vets SMR or do they just have the SMR only for a claim thats been filed? How does that work?

They have the entire file. They dont make a substitute unless your claim is say at the BVA and you file a new claim for another condition.

J

If you need the AB accident records pronto make an appointment at the RO to review your records. If it is there they will normally copy a few pages for you on the spot. However, to get a complete copy of your C-File you will have to request it and it will take a few weeks to a few months. Just depends on the work load at the RO.

They have the entire file. They dont make a substitute unless your claim is say at the BVA and you file a new claim for another condition.

J

VERY GOOD! I've been wondering that since I first filed. This is another reason I love this site, people willing to help out!

Another question fo ya J. Is it etched in stone when they say not to file a claim while another is pending? Also can you change a statement of claim before

it's reviewed?