Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Best Way To Submit Documents To Va

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

So I've almost got my TDIU form & documents ready to send in. I had to talk to the VSO about a different matter, but discussed the TDIU with him. He insists that the only correct way for me to submit paperwork to the VA is to hand my ORIGINAL documents over to him and he would make copies for my file in his office, then forward the original documents to the VA. I told him I wasn't thrilled about that plan, since the VA seems to lose documents, but he insisted.

I got to wondering about this. I sure didn't hand over personal letters from deceased family members, I provided copies for my claim (I didn't go through this VSO for my PTSD claim - he told me I didn't have a chance and told me not to file). Why would this guy want to be responsible for handling people's original documents?

The VA doesn't seem to mind copies, from my experience. What has been everyone else's?

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I hand carry the stuff to my RO and get date stamped copies. I only live 20 miles from my VARO. One reason I am not moving.

Where do you get the fax # from? I cant find anything on the Houston Regional page and I tried the 1-800 # and it said they were too many calls to call again in the morning.

it should be free later tonight

I would ask this gentleman to show you the law. I have never sent originals for anything to the RO.

I have had documents certified and send them in but they were copies of originals.

Where is this guy located? I would consider reporting him if he continues.

Had a counselor at the RO tell me they needed originals, but didnt enforce it....besides there is no way to really tell an original from copied, as far as med documents and what not....I send in copies, or originals as long as i have copies of it i could care less....However an original birth certificate i would not send in, i would get a copy certified, notarized what not.. Was running around vith a verified stamped copy by a major, with sig for like 10 years till i lost it, no one ever said anything about it, DMV ARMY SOCIAL SECURITY, it was all gravy I send in COPIES of dd214's i keep the ones with the actual signatures that you can see....

So I've almost got my TDIU form & documents ready to send in. I had to talk to the VSO about a different matter, but discussed the TDIU with him. He insists that the only correct way for me to submit paperwork to the VA is to hand my ORIGINAL documents over to him and he would make copies for my file in his office, then forward the original documents to the VA. I told him I wasn't thrilled about that plan, since the VA seems to lose documents, but he insisted.

I got to wondering about this. I sure didn't hand over personal letters from deceased family members, I provided copies for my claim (I didn't go through this VSO for my PTSD claim - he told me I didn't have a chance and told me not to file). Why would this guy want to be responsible for handling people's original documents?

The VA doesn't seem to mind copies, from my experience. What has been everyone else's?

I totally agree with John, I always submit everything myself in order to get the time stamped copy. I have had to prove I submitted documents more than once at DRO hearings.

JMO,

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When I got out in 1995, my VSO looked me in the eye and told me never to send any original to the VA. He did offer to make copies for me. Because I had a lot of paperwork, I ordered a pizza and a couple of 2 liters of soda. I helped him copy the files in his office, to help speed things up and make sure nothing was overlooked. He checked the front and back of every page and was very thorough. It took us a couple of hours. Due to the VA politics and CYA's, I doubt that VSO's would be that cool today.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I got out in 1995, my VSO looked me in the eye and told me never to send any original to the VA. He did offer to make copies for me. Because I had a lot of paperwork, I ordered a pizza and a couple of 2 liters of soda. I helped him copy the files in his office, to help speed things up and make sure nothing was overlooked. He checked the front and back of every page and was very thorough. It took us a couple of hours. Due to the VA politics and CYA's, I doubt that VSO's would be that cool today.

Now be nice.

Why, I never leave home without my copy machine!

Ask those whom know me.

I use the cheap, Wal-Mart, $2.50 a ream paper!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph