Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suspense Date

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

While checking the VA web site on my claim today, I noticed something strange. On the part where it says(way on the bottom-had to click to open it) it says what have we done-

vamc 678(my va facility) opened 9/03-2010- suspense date-11/2/2010. Normally the suspense date is when they close your claim, receive your decision. So does this mean they started looking at in on Friday and expect to be done by 11/02/2010, or they aren't going to doing anything until that date. Thanks

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The November suspense date will remain unchanged until the claim is looked at again. If at that time they determine more info is needed or some requested info isn't there yet, they will request what's needed or may re-request whatever hasn't arrived and/or set up a new suspense date. I believe suspense dates generally run 60, 90 or 120 days. I think if you review M-21- whatever the number is you can find more info on the actual claims process. The best part is now you can relax because basically nothing is going to happen again until November. I know it sux but you haven't even hit a yr yet.

pr

Your response now makes me understand this more clearly. I thought that suspense was set in stone and was going to stay the same until November. I guess someone at the VA decided to throw a date at this claim as a tracking tool to lookout in case it hasn't been settled by November as it is starting to getting to get old.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would add that in my opinion the suspense date is more VA covering their own ass so that in their reports they can say that they are working on all the claims that are stacked up all over their building.

My advice is consider the suspense date for what it is. It don't mean nothing.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I would add that in my opinion the suspense date is more VA covering their own ass so that in their reports they can say that they are working on all the claims that are stacked up all over their building.

My advice is consider the suspense date for what it is. It don't mean nothing.

That is shocking news. The 1st time I had a rating exam-results in 4 months, 2nd time 6 months, now 9 months and counting. What is the VA doing with all the new hires, working supposedly on the week-ends doing? Company meeting, picnics, deliberately working slower for a job security. I can't imagine! There needs to be A congressional review, and by that I mean a physical visit to get a hands look of what they actually are doing. Obviously even though is a surge of new claims, there needs to be a major shake up in management, heads need to roll on this:unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck, grasshopper! Back in '89 I had my claim done in 3-4 months but the appeal took 10 yrs. Ain't nuttin' gonna change. jmo

pr

That is shocking news. The 1st time I had a rating exam-results in 4 months, 2nd time 6 months, now 9 months and counting. What is the VA doing with all the new hires, working supposedly on the week-ends doing? Company meeting, picnics, deliberately working slower for a job security. I can't imagine! There needs to be A congressional review, and by that I mean a physical visit to get a hands look of what they actually are doing. Obviously even though is a surge of new claims, there needs to be a major shake up in management, heads need to roll on this:unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

I am on my soapbox.

I did my claim and appeal by the seat of my pants and this is what I found out in the 90's. Going to the BVA delays everything even more than when you file claim. Take advantage of your right to a hearing and present yourself and you case to a decision maker face to face. I had four hearings over the years and the hearings all advanced my claim. It took me 5 and 1/2 years to go from claim to 100%.

My claim was sitting at BVA rusting after 2 years I called the DAV guy at BVA and told him I wanted to have a Hearing and I got the standard it will mess you up. I had almost given up and I sent an email to President Clinton complaining about the delays and my treatment from VA and asked for help.

Little did I know that this combination ended up accelerating my claim as I had a Hearing in Waco in less than a month and my decision was mad 3 working days later. Can I say what exactly helped me the answer is no but the Hearing Officer told me I should have gotten 100% a long time before he saw me and he apologized if you can believe that.

Can I recommend this to others. Not really this was 14 years ago. What I am saying is leave no stone unturned and if you can ask for a Hearing.

This is not meant as advice just my own personal story. I believe in my heart if I had not done this it would have been years before I prevailed.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

A wise old ex VSR once told me when vets read there have been so and so people were hired to work the claims they tend to think great lets hit the floor running. Obviously that is not the case he said. Even the lower positions would take 2-4 months and this is just someone to open the mail! It takes well over 8-12 months to train an individual that is moving up to being a Jr. what we call rater.

I though like to take the secretary at his word that the log jam will be caught up before the end of the year. I just don't have a clue how he is going to do it? Fire, floods,shredder or decisions??