VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Pa Opinion Moot? Whats The Point, Then?

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I have my C&P results for radicular numbness and pain for my left extremity (for svc connection), and erectile difficulty. My right leg is already connected (10%, and 40% for IVDS).

What is the point of a C&P if the PA's opinion of everything is "clinical record is insufficient......therefore an opinion is rendered moot." Isn't that, kind of, their job? So, im crazy now, or am just not reading it right? So, what does that mean? I don't go to the doctor every time my toe tingles-they can't 'do' anything about it. Same with the PME/erectile difficulty, this was the first time I brought it up (HA!) to my own doc, though my wife typed a statement as well, and my PCP noted my complaint about it in 2003 right after I got out. I guess I don't know how to generate clinical evidence for a noted chronic, course since onset progressively worse condition.

The C&P doc a few days after my doctor's examination says there is some diminished sensation in left great toe, but reflexes are normal, "Course since Onset-progressively worse", plantar flexion normal, and "in regards to radiculopathy of the left lower extremity lumbar spine, there is insufficient clinical evidence of any acute or chornic conditoin or any residuals thereo and thus the requested opinion and rationale are rendered moot." She did note impairments to employment duties, inscreased abseteeism, and how it affects my home life and abilities there, but im sitting here right now and can't feel my toes in my left foot. WTF>

*sigh*

My claim is still pending, the results were just narrated a few days ago, but I have a list of stuff the screen the length of my forearm on Ebenefits-statements from work, my wife, my doctor, etc, that show diminished reflex, pain, numbness, weakness etc. The VA PA's physical exam was the same week as my doctor's, and my doctor notes diminished reflexes and weakness, antalgic gait, diffuculty with standing, difficulty doing toe raises, and she prescribed Paxil for PME, and states that it is most likely due to my lower lumber DDD. I also have current x rays showing disc space stenosis at L4-5, and L2-L3. She (my doc) notes "straight leg positve at 45% on the right, and 40% on the left. He is able to to and heel walk although he does this with some difficulty. He has limited amount of toe raises that he can do right foot and left foot but initially can't do them. The patients gait is antalgic. The patient has issues with sexual dysfunction and has troubles with PME."

Okay, im done now, I think. Im just frustrated-I guess I wait for the decision and see what I see, right?

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

A C&P is more than just to see if you have a disease but to give advice to the rater on just how bad it is.

If you have like me a heart condition, well they don't give me a 100% the highest rating (wish they did) no they sent me to a C&P and from that rated me at 60%. Now when I put in for increase and gave them my records they still had this 61 year old vet do a stress test (that almost killed me) and from that rated me at 100% because it had gotten worse.

Hope you understand a little better now.

So, since the C&P PA basically makes no decision what so ever, the rater will just have to go off of whatever else they have, or will they just ignore it since it's not "VA" saying it?

The rater at the regional office looks over everything. Inservice records, any further records of treatment you may have sent them, or from other physicians or therapists who may have treated you and then finally they look at the C&P exam notations and opinions of the examiner. If you feel that the outcome is not favorable then you can always appeal it with a NOD notice of disagreement. Doesn't read too well but one never knows what other validating info is in your previous records of exams inservice. Wait and see, and if you have further info of the claimed conditions and further evidence not submitted, send it asap.

Will do. Its pretty well documented in my SMR's, too. Ive just not had an C&P where they basically make no decision at all. The other ones read pretty definitively.

The rater at the regional office looks over everything. Inservice records, any further records of treatment you may have sent them, or from other physicians or therapists who may have treated you and then finally they look at the C&P exam notations and opinions of the examiner. If you feel that the outcome is not favorable then you can always appeal it with a NOD notice of disagreement. Doesn't read too well but one never knows what other validating info is in your previous records of exams inservice. Wait and see, and if you have further info of the claimed conditions and further evidence not submitted, send it asap.