Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Hadit Vso Assistance

Rate this question

chr49

Question

First off, my VSO's are with the TN DVA and I believe they have done their jobs properly. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the following situations from happening again.

Old issue: April 2010; submitted evidence thru my VSO in reply to a VARO request. The VARO said they never received it. I re-filed that evidence in August. A day or two afterwards, I received my c-file and found it contained the date stamped form VA-4138 and all records that my VSO had submitted for me in April. April's evidence was omitted from my July decision. Hopefully, the April evidence will be viewed as new evidence as I move forward in the process.

New issue: August 13th; submitted a NOD thru my VSO. On September 30th, I made an IRIS inquiry to verify the VARO was in receipt of my NOD. I received 2 IRIS replies stating the August 13th NOD was not (1) in my electronic file and was not (2) in my VARO c-file. The last reply advised that my VSO re-file the NOD. I continue to lose time with all of this re-filing.

Questions:

Is this a common problem?

If so, are there any recommendations to remedy this situation?

After my VSO re-files the NOD would it help if I personally send or fax the VARO a copy of NOD?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

CHR49

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess it is time for the lecture that every Veteran needs to know and pay attention to cause it matters. Your claim is your responsibility. Whether or not you get a VSO or a Lawyer or some other kind of advocate the deadlines and the NOD's and the forms are on you.

You can not walk into a VSO ask them to help you on a claim and than forget it. Its still on you and if a deadline is missed its your problem not anyone elses.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

What I was actually trying to state was since this particular VSO wasn't up to par on the way things should have been done, I took him out of the loop, found another competant VSO, and had to start doing this most of this myself. It is very hard to find a VSo that will do things right the ist time, and then you have to deal with the paperwork getting to the right dept, or even put in the system correctly once it gets there. Probably this thread should be closed.

Cool breeze and I must have had the same VSO...

I had the same results too with my first VSO, but then again that was 15 years ago.

Last year, my county VSO also steered me wrong. His recommendation was to simply submit the claim form telling them what's wrong. I asked if I should include copies of medical records, statements, etc.. for a couple of claims I was planning to submit, but he said no and claimed they already have everything and there was no way I would get another C&P exam. I went against his recommendations, followed the advice from the elders here (including Larry), and I am very glad I did. I got new C&P exams and the results were very positive for the most part.

I agree with cool breeze. Some of the VSO's are not very good, but there are some great ones out there who really do care (like Larry and another VSO my father used).

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have gotten certified mail from the VA. Only when they send me narcotics do they require me to sign for the letter. This is to cover their asses. When they send a decision or a notice of a c&p exam who cares. Just send it any old way. If I get it great if not the can deny my claim. Why do I hate the VA? Because the relationship I have with them is based on inequality. I am the dog and they are the master. I have to prove my claims and they can just deny it, lie to my face, lie to my congressman...no problem.

Proof of receipt of documentation should work in both directions. If we mail something, we must have proof they received it. If they mail something, they automatically assume we have received it.

Has anyone ever used return receipt to find the VA confirms only the receipt of an envelope, but not the contents of the envelope?

I only get receipts of the envelope..which doesn't give much proof.

CHR49

I guess it is time for the lecture that every Veteran needs to know and pay attention to cause it matters. Your claim is your responsibility. Whether or not you get a VSO or a Lawyer or some other kind of advocate the deadlines and the NOD's and the forms are on you.

You can not walk into a VSO ask them to help you on a claim and than forget it. Its still on you and if a deadline is missed its your problem not anyone elses.

Thank you Pete53

I opened this topic to get advice. I really didn't want to bash VSO's. In honesty, I wouldn't want their job since it's obvious from LarryJ's comments that they are up against the same problems as we are with every vet that they deal with. It sounds like most everybody is having problems of one sort or another. My goal with this topic was to talk about how to handle the issues at hand. Hadit support!

I totally agree that we need responsible for our own claims but then there's the pestering factor. How do you tactfully check on things without becoming a pest/irritant in the VARO's eyes or getting 'red flagged'? It seems like such a fine line to me. I phoned my VSO 1 month ago and he advised that I wait 60 days before checking on the NOD. I pushed that back to 45 days because I didn't want time to get away from me and now I hear it was never received, just as my past paperwork was never received (yet found in my c-file). It makes me angry but more than anything I just want to find a way to correct the problem without making huge waves.

I'm going to come up with a plan on how to do things from this point forward...don't know what it will be but all of suggestions given in this topic have been helpful.

Thanks Guys and Gals!!

LarryJ...I need to find one of those 'Congress person's VA liaison' people!

CHR49

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Pete53

I opened this topic to get advice. I really didn't want to bash VSO's. In honesty, I wouldn't want their job since it's obvious from LarryJ's comments that they are up against the same problems as we are with every vet that they deal with. It sounds like most everybody is having problems of one sort or another. My goal with this topic was to talk about how to handle the issues at hand. Hadit support!

I totally agree that we need responsible for our own claims but then there's the pestering factor. How do you tactfully check on things without becoming a pest/irritant in the VARO's eyes or getting 'red flagged'? It seems like such a fine line to me. I phoned my VSO 1 month ago and he advised that I wait 60 days before checking on the NOD. I pushed that back to 45 days because I didn't want time to get away from me and now I hear it was never received, just as my past paperwork was never received (yet found in my c-file). It makes me angry but more than anything I just want to find a way to correct the problem without making huge waves.

I'm going to come up with a plan on how to do things from this point forward...don't know what it will be but all of suggestions given in this topic have been helpful.

Thanks Guys and Gals!!

LarryJ...I need to find one of those 'Congress person's VA liaison' people!

Just "google" your local United States Representative's name and their office contact information will be available. Just call your Representative's local office (not their Washington, D.C. office) and simply ask for the VA person.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph