Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Extra Schedular Rating Letter

Rate this question

HvyGns38

Question

When writing an Extra Schedular Rating letter, what should I include in the letter?

Should I keep it as basic as possible? Such as just saying "I am requesting an extra schedular rating due to my service connected disabilities material interference with my employment."

Any advice would be great.

Thank you!!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to say that your SC disabiilty makes it impossible for you to work. You will need to back that up with medical proof as well. If you have a letter from a doctor saying you can't work solely due to your SC then that should work for you. You need to do the TDIU form.

I guess my post is a little confusing. . .A few weeks ago I had posted about speaking with a lawyer regarding a NOD. I explained my situation about not wanting IU because, for my own mental health, I have to work to keep myself busy and not thinking about stuff. He indicated that I should file the NOD (mienere's disease), but it would be a long because even though I have medical proof from IMO that it was not noted in my SMR. He said I would have a better shot at filing for extra schedular rating because my %'s were so high on two of my disabilities (70% PTSD anf 50% knee) and it is interfering with my work because I have had to miss so much work because of my disabilities.

However, he only gave me a brief sentence to write requesting extra schedular rating and that is what I wrote below. My question is, what else should I add other than the sentence and my explanation of missing so much work that my job is in jeopardy.

Hope this makes sense. :smile:

Thanks OK I gotcha now. I am not sure this can even be done without the VA somehow granting you a higher % for the disabilities that you have.

Maybe the lawyer knows more about this than me and I guess that would not be hard.

I was like you and having 80% for a few years and then actually going up to 90% after an award for 50% PTSD. I could not understand how or whenever I was going to get to 100% because I wanted to keep working too so IU was out of the question.

Well last year I just could not take it anymore and filed for an increase and got 100% for my heart condition and actually got house bound at SMC-s because my other conditions were well over 60%.

I do stay busy now and read and post here a bit but I have not worked since April. I am letting the dr's run my life for as long as I have left now.

I do wish you the best and maybe someone else will come along to help you. I would like to add that IU was created by the VA because of this type of situation.

You can apply for extra schedular if you want.. but it would be a waste of time.

SMC's normally require a 100% rating with the exception of K .

SMC S Housebound requires 100% or TDIU plus 60% . Or 100% and actual housebound

SMC L Aid and attendance requires a 100% .(the regulation does not specifically require a 100% rating, but just the same it is a requirement)

Most other SMC's require the loss of or loss of use of a leg or arm or blindness or a combination of these problems....

• HadIt.com Elder

I gather you are trying to get TDIU, under 38 CFR 4.16(b), which requires that you request an extra-schedular rating. The statement you stated should suffice. As others mentioned, additional evidence would help as would filing the TDIU form, which I understand is required.

pr