Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hospitalized Due To Gemfibrozil (Lopid) Reaction

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

Good morning Hadit crew-

I was just released from the hospital for CPK of +/- 4000 (normal is 38 – 174). I went to my local ER for severe pain in all muscles, all over my body. The ER doctor suspected a severe reaction to Gemfibrozil causing Rhabdomyolysis (the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage). ER doc ordered me to stop taking the Lopid (Gemfibrozil) on the spot, and admitted. After 5 days, levels came down but still elevated.

I was released yesterday; my CPK was 278. The attending doc said to follow up with my family doc within a week or so to check levels again. My question is this: since the drug was prescribed by the VA, should I file a claim? I have the hospital records in hand showing treatment, etc. I plan on contacting the VA to cover the deductable, but don’t know how to proceed with that issue either. I almost ended up with kidney damage and someone needs to be held accountable. Since I was just at the VA for my yearly check-up last Tuesday, I'm wondering if CPK and creatinine levels were checked, and if not, why not?

To all those that have been prescribed this med, beware - have your blood work checked regularly!

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Good morning Hadit crew-

I was just released from the hospital for CPK of +/- 4000 (normal is 38 – 174). I went to my local ER for severe pain in all muscles, all over my body. The ER doctor suspected a severe reaction to Gemfibrozil causing Rhabdomyolysis (the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage). ER doc ordered me to stop taking the Lopid (Gemfibrozil) on the spot, and admitted. After 5 days, levels came down but still elevated.

I was released yesterday; my CPK was 278. The attending doc said to follow up with my family doc within a week or so to check levels again. My question is this: since the drug was prescribed by the VA, should I file a claim? I have the hospital records in hand showing treatment, etc. I plan on contacting the VA to cover the deductable, but don't know how to proceed with that issue either. I almost ended up with kidney damage and someone needs to be held accountable. Since I was just at the VA for my yearly check-up last Tuesday, I'm wondering if CPK and creatinine levels were checked, and if not, why not?

To all those that have been prescribed this med, beware - have your blood work checked regularly!

Sounds like a possible claim but before involving the Va I would get a complete set of records from both the civilian hospital and a complete set from the Va.Wait for the pros on next step after doing that.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am glad you are OK. Most people who take this medicine do not have a reacion, You are one in several hundred thousand. My son had a severe allergic reaction to ceftin and it almost killed him.

Hang in there and if you have a claim or a case against the VA or the makers of this drug, I hope you succeed. You are 90 percent and are in Pri Group 1 so dont worry about the co pay.

John

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

John,

Thanks for the reply and support. I've already contacted the treating hospital and have provided details on presenting the costs to the VAMC in Atlanta. I'm also going to set up an appointment with a clinical pharmacologist to review meds/reactions. I can't afford another close call like this one. As far as the claim for the medication, the anesthesia I received may have been the culprit as well, so I can't pin this directly on the medication. I think (and so does my family doc) that it was a one-in-a-million combination of both.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

I had a bad reaction form heparin, but there is no claim.. I almost lost my eyesight, and was treated as an in-patient at the VA.. These side-effects, as far as I know, are not a basis for suing, unless they cause permanent damage.. and proving the damage is almos timpossible with a lawyer, and they will not go after the va unless something huge happens.. also, probably laws to protect the federal government.. so basically, you are probably wasting your time..

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

I think the only way you are going to get the VA to pay for this is if you followed the procedure they have developed for ER treatment.

I have used the ER in a couple of situations involving my heart. Because I have private insurance like you I have tried to get them to pay co-pay with out success. Each time I was told about how it works. I hope I get this right but this is what I was told.

If you have an emergency you call the 911 or if you are driving yourself the VA ER in any case you have to have VA PERMISSION to a. use the private hospital and b. approval to be admitted.

When you arrive at the ER and they have made you stable you are to tell them you are a disabled veteran and give them the information for the closet VA hospital. The private hospital has to call and the two hospitals will decide what is best for your care. If the VA agrees and you are admitted to the private hospital they will direct them how to bill and your care will all be paid by the VA as a fee basis.

If the VA talks to the private hospital and they feel you can be transported to the VA hospital you will either be transported by the private hospital or the VA will send someone to pick you up and transfer you. The private hospital will bill the VA for all cost incurred and you will be taken care of at the VA.

In both instances you have to let the VA make the call as to where you are treated.

You can try and get the VA to cover the co-pays under your private plan but they from what I understand are not liable for them.

Glad you are feeling better that is the MAIN thing!