VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Visit

Rate this question

packrat

Question

I am going for my first VA visit on the 30th. A retired master gunny told me their is no doubt at least in his mind that I have PTSD. My hearing is really bad and I am very concerned that if I tell them exactly what is on my mind I might get tossed. Do you hold back or tell it like it is?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"My circulation in my feat and legs is getting bad as my ankles burn"

Do you have private medical care records? are you getting current medical treatment for anything?

"I am rated 10% from 40 years ago"

You have brought me to tears.

What is the 10 % for?

You wonderful Vietnam vets went through so much sh---t oooops CRAP- when you returned to the "world" that many stayed away from the system as much as they could------and still stay away from VA health care and are still reluctant to deal with filing a VA claim-----

my own husband (USMC Danang 65-66) thought ,when he came home, he was just crazy and hoped no one would find out.

He went to the VA one day 16 years after discharge for a VA business loan and came away from the VA the same day with a PTSD diagnosis (he tried to choke the VA loan officer -who unfortunately was an Oriental man who he thought was the enemy)

I think you have enough evidence to succeed on a PTSD claim as well as the HL claim.

You could briefly mention any other stressors but dont worry about them.

DO you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214?

Are you sure your DD 214 is correct.

My husband filed for a DD 215 DOD form 149-I can post it here if you need it, and much to his surprise they forgot 4 awards or decorations on the original one.

One of his stressors involved a medivac chopper situation.

It took him a miserable week to list them all-for the 21 day PTSD inhouse program ---hardly no sleep and it was just awful-but they were always like yesterday to him anyhow.

Claim every thing that you feel in addition to the PTSD and hearing loss-could be service connected.

Do you have any other disabilities?

The 10% is something they gave me without asking believe it or not. In 69 after I returned from Nam they were treating me for a skin condition. They called me in and continued to treat me at the VA for this condition after discharge while they used me as a lab rat. After about a year they stoped calling me in and sent me a notice that I was awarded 10% for this condition. In the mid 80s there were budget cuts and they took it away without a visit. I ran into a DAV service truck about three years later. While we were talking I told him the story and He said BS and got involved. I got a letter with a VA appointment and they examened me again. 10% was restored. Sometimes I feel like they felt it was cheaper to give me the 10% then to treat me. It's OK, I never asked for it in the first place.

Your husband and I sure as heck tread some of the same ground. Chu lai inmid 67 just south of Da Nang and I was at Marble mountain in mid 68. In beyween I was at Fu bai and Quang Tri.

I am on my 3rd wife and only now am I begining to see why they all called me cold. Go straight to my room after work and watch TV. Get highly agitated if anyone bothers me. Have done it for years. Very little contact with my sons. Had four sons in 6 years after nam. All had a birth defect of some type. mast were minor that could be corrected with braces or surgery.Hate talking on the phone. Just want to do what I have to and don't want to be bothered BY ANYONE. I drank for almost 20 years but gave it up for a new gig. Isolating myself as when I drank I got nasty. I still will go off the deep end at the drop of a hat ahd will get in your face if challanged. I have never laid a hand on any of my spouses. If it got too bad I would take off until i cooled off. I have thought about checking out. A retired Master gunny told me I have real issues and pushed to to get a VA appointment. It scares me as I will not be disrespected. In the last three years I went from being meek as a mouse to a nasty bugger if someone gets in my space.

I have always paid for my own health care including the purchase of my current hearing aids. I never even checked my discharge phys. until a year ago. My aids are now not sufficient and I can see I am going to need some serious help with my anger. I turn 65 in a year and a half and medicare will help but I can not wait that long. I know exactly where you husband was coming from. Old school. No complaints.

Feels good to talk

"My circulation in my feat and legs is getting bad as my ankles burn"

Do you have private medical care records? are you getting current medical treatment for anything?

Legs and feet stared. Lots of ulser problems which is on record. Palops in colon. Waiting for other shoe to drop. A lot of Vietnam Vets were dead when they left SE Asia. They just didn't know it.

• HadIt.com Elder

That is true Packrat. A lot of folks were dead and didnt know it. They are dying every day.

Hang in there.

J

Edited by jbasser

It's going to be a bad day. As Nov 30 my first VA visit gets closer I find myself wondering if I am doing the right thing. The more I think about it the more I worry. I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin today. Went off on the wife, she bailed to get some distance. Can't blame her. I read some of the post and try to self analyze. I see where a lot of folks have trouble falling asleep I don't. so I say I don't have that sympton. I am usually so mentally exhaused I fall right to sleep. My problem is after I fall asleep the wheels turn so hard I wake up and lay there for hours thinking about all this crap. It has been like this for years and now the thought of the VA is making it worse. Anyone understand or am I rambling? Can they keep me there against my will? I just want some peace in my life. Seems like when I type my thoughts here it is some relief. Trying not to make this a sounding board but I have no one else I will share this with. Does anything I say make sense?

"Does anything I say make sense?"

ALL of it does!

'Can they keep me there against my will?" ABsolutely NOT!!!!

I worked for VA as a vet center volunteer and then I married a PTSD vet patient ( USMC)----so I began a long relationship with the VA myself.I think you will find that there are some wonderful people at VA who will understand what you are going through.

Although I gripe about the VA-in many areas the VA is excellent in their care-and one of those areas in my opinion -is PTSD care.

Marble Mountain yeah- near White Elephant and Monkey Mt?

"Trying not to make this a sounding board but I have no one else I will share this with" You are sure to find many other Vietnam vets here at hadit as well as at the VA itself who truly understand you.

And many VA medical professionals served in Vietnam too.

One of the worse things PTSD can do is cause a veteran to turn on their significant others.

And yet these are the individuals who can give you the most support of all.

The VAMC you deal with might even offer some help for the spouse.

My husband's shrink often asked me to attend the PTSD sessions along with my husband.

Our local VAMC (Bath NY) even had a program for PTSD wives and other significant others)I dont know if that program is still in place.

I feel you are definitely doing the right thing.