Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Conditions

Rate this question

landend

Question

I been talking to a friend about when we at basic training and I remembered that there was a heat wave going on and back in 1970s there was no ac ,so everyone was really cranky and tried from to hot to sleep well.

Sickbay was full and the med staff were really cranky and tired.

Also there was a really large forest fire going on and the smoke was really thick and hard to breath and fire trucks 24 hours a day for weeks,started moving people around.

There was also a bunch of guys caught selling and using weed, drugs

Really a confusing time and still try making it through basic, so I thought that this should go towards claims for state of mind on awol,the way you were treated

Just a thought for some that might need some things to go with the claims

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I went across the country with a friends family in 69. We lived in Williamsburg, VA at the time and his dad was getting transferred to White Sands, Missile range in NM.

It was a cool trip and I had it fixed so I could report in El Paso for induction. Well talk about HOT here you have a little east coast young man at 19 set to take basic in the desert Ft Bliss Texas where on bivouac we went out a couple days before and shot jack rabbits and strung them up to protect the water.

Man that place was hot as Hell June-August for boot and I feel passing that was exactly what got me ready to survive in Nam. That and a feisty drill Sgt. who was back from his third or second tour and made sure we were ready!!

I hope you were not offended by that post I just made-

I am simply making a logical point-as to the best evidence you would need-as to a contributing factor.

Did the VA send you a VCAA letter for the Character of Discharge claim? I got a letter back in may that stated I need a couple of records, which I sent. Than I called and they said they were waiting for facts and circumstances??

But just the one letter,but they did tell me that, they never seen a case like mine, that there was no punishment, just administrative discharge without character,

Have you applied to the BCMR yet? Yes I have.Been almost 8 months and have not heard anything.

You did not offend me, I just thought that it would help, The other reason for me was when we were doing our test in the first week the class room was full of smoke and many distraction with fire trucks, and my score was a lot lower than it should have been as were many others, so we were tested again and my scores were a lot higher like for some reason they flagged the GT and the AE score,what ever they mean, but they were 120s on first test and 148 and 149 on the second,and than They started asking questions about my goals??However with dementia setting in now a days I have to think about everything I say.But Thanks For all the great knowledge I have gathered here and from you and all of the others.

Packrat

How tall are you? If you stretch 140 lbs over a 6'1" frame you have nothing but bone and some skin and hair.

5'9" except for our height, we must have looked like twins. :biggrin: Don't know about you but at that weight you should have included your eyes. I know mine were huge in every pic of me. :rolleyes: