Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Conditions

Rate this question

landend

Question

I been talking to a friend about when we at basic training and I remembered that there was a heat wave going on and back in 1970s there was no ac ,so everyone was really cranky and tried from to hot to sleep well.

Sickbay was full and the med staff were really cranky and tired.

Also there was a really large forest fire going on and the smoke was really thick and hard to breath and fire trucks 24 hours a day for weeks,started moving people around.

There was also a bunch of guys caught selling and using weed, drugs

Really a confusing time and still try making it through basic, so I thought that this should go towards claims for state of mind on awol,the way you were treated

Just a thought for some that might need some things to go with the claims

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John -when my daughter was in Basic at Lackland,Texas, she called me up (one of the few calls I got when she was there) and told me she had been hospitalized overnight due to dehydration during a manuever exercise.I was horrified!

Another call I got -she told me they were doing some sort of war game exercise and it was so hot she threw up in the bushes but continued the exercise and it was lots of fun.

When she was in Vietnam a few years ago some people she was with almost passed out in the War Atrocity Museum.

The Vietnamese are so acclimated to the heat that when they are in running and bicycle marathons, they refuse water.

I imagine everyone here encountered either devastating heat or blistering cold weather during their service wherever they were.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

When you see old photos of grunts in Vietnam most were walking scarecrows due to weight loss from horrible conditions. You wonder how a 140 lbs grunt can hump a 80lbs rucksack in blazing heat eating food not fit for a dog. The reason they drafted 18 year olds is because only the very young can tolerate and recover from those insults to their bodies.