VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Surprise At Doctor's Office

Rate this topic

I hope this is being posted in the right area. This is not at a VA medical office, but at a private practice. I have been going to this office for medical care since 1973. My Doctor told me that if my wife and I want to remain with him, we would have to pay him $1500.00 each per year over and above his medical fees. He would limit his patient load to 450, and give us access to him 24/7. Sometimes, a man has to do something that he does not want to do, in my case I did not want to go to a VA medical facility for care, but with the way things are looking in the private medical world, I may not have a choice.

Papa

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have read in the past where some doctors have done this, it gives the patients access to a doctor when ever they want it, it ensures the doctor of a steady patient load and they do not take on "new patients" once they fill the 450 slots it gives them a secure financial base and you can bet your sweet bippy they will bill your insurance company for every nickel they can but few of us can afford to pay 1500 annual just for access to a certain doctor above and beyond our insurance policies

I quit using private doctors in 2000 when I lost my Blue Cross and I have been lucky in having excellent docs at the VA, the one time I did have an emergency my wife had the ambulance take me to the nearest emergency room and we told them to get me transferred to the VA as soon as they got me stabilized I was lucky in that the VA did pay those bills but when it comes to ER care when you are having a heart attack you go to the nearest hospital and worry about the bills later living is the primary goal at that point I would rather be alive and arguing about who is going to pay the bill than waste an hour on the road getting to the VAMC in Augusta not knowing if I will live long enough to get there

I don't make enough to pay a doc a 1500 retainer maybe some lawyers and other professionals do but VA comp and SSD is not enough to spend that kind of money unless he can make you look and feel 25 for ever which no one can

• HadIt.com Elder

That may be considered a form of medical extortion since these Docs have written agreements with insurance companies and medicare to treat you for their reduced rate scale.

They want you tp anty up and pay 1500 extra per year. Is that for family of just you?

Personally I would tell him thanks for the years of service but take a flying leap.

There are other Doctors out there, one also doesnt have to use the VA,

I bet this wouldnt happen in Harlan County.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

I have read about it in Seattle, San Francisco etc places like that it is usually per person I don't know if they have a family rate or not it's a way of having a steady patient load without having to deal with medicare patients etc they usually only want patients with good insurance

If I made a choice to pay the $1500.00 then I would also go into their office

to have them cut a hang nail - you know, professionally, as if I did it myself

I might get an infection.

In other words I'd be damned sure to get my money's worth.

2 am headache - call doctor, 10 pm sore throat - call doctor, etc...