VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Training Manuals

Rate this question

scraperhand

Question

My claim for Raynauds disease secondary to discord Lupus erythematosus was turned down by the VA. The C&P doctor stated that in my opionion is that it is not secondary to DLE. Raynauds phenomenon may be associated with Lupus but it is not caused by it. IN the VA training manual it states,( In Raynaulds disease there is no underlying cause. This is the milder form, And it usually affects both hands and feet. In raynauds Phenomenon. Altjough the signs and symptoms are the same an underlying cause is known. one of the causes include LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS). I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS. ( ANY SUGESTIONS).

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

HELLO, I just talked to my VA Rheumatologist doctor about my problem with my C&P exam doctor stating that RAYNOLDS DISEASE was'nt secondary to DISCORD LUPUS. THE C&P doctor stated that RAYNOUDS PHENOMENON may be associated with LUPUS but not caused by it. So the VA denied my claim, Stating what the C&P examiner wrote, That the diagnosed Raynauds Phenomenon is not secondary to service connected DISCORD LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS. The examiner stated that the two conditions may be associated, but Raynaulds is not casused by LUPUS. Therefore, service connection for this condition cannot be granted on a direct, secondary, or presumtive basis, and sevice connection is DENIED. My VA Rheumatologist doctor said she would write a later in support of my claim disagreeing with my C&P examiner statment. I hope this and the VA training letters will be enough for filling a NOD. I will wait until my other claims are finished before filling a NOD OR RECONSIDERATION.

There is certainly medical support on the net for the premise of your claim:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/raynaud/ray_causes.html

"My VA Rheumatologist doctor said she would write a later in support of my claim disagreeing "

GREAT! Maybe best to file a Request for Reconsideration. The NOD clock will still tick for the appeal period but a Recon request with her statement might resolve this claim faster.

She should use and refer to any good internet printout like the one I posted but probably has good references to cite herself.

PS does any other causes here in the link IO gave you have any basis for a direct SC claim?

Where you exposed to any inservice chemicals that could be narrowed down as the cause of the Raynald's

"Causes of Secondary Raynaud's

A number of different things can cause secondary Raynaud's, such as:

* Diseases and conditions that directly damage the arteries or damage the nerves that control the arteries in the hands and feet

* Repetitive actions that damage the nerves that control the arteries in the hands and feet

* Injuries to the hands and feet

* Exposure to certain chemicals

* Medicines that narrow the arteries or affect blood pressure

and as the article also states:

"Scleroderma (skler-o-DER-ma) and lupus are two examples of conditions that are linked to Raynaud's. About 9 out of 10 people who have scleroderma have Raynaud's. About 1 out of 3 people who has lupus has Raynaud's."

Those are statistics that also support your claim.

The C & P doc probably didnt have a clue on Lupus or Raynalds.

HELLO, BERTA, Thanks for the imformation. The only link that I have for Raynaud's to be secondary is that I have DICORD LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS. I had this disease since 1976 whitch was misdiagnosed by the VA DOCTORS when I was in the service, they thought I had psorasis, I did not find out what I had until 1986, the damage was done by then, I did not file until 2002 for benifits from the VA because of my lack knowledge. I will file for a reconsideration on this claim denial when I get the decisions on a few other claims that is already in the system since May of 2010, One of the claims is for a reconsideration for MDD that I put In at the end of August 2010, It has been in the system for six months and counting, The original denied claim for RAYNAUD'S PHENOMENON was August 17, 2010 I guess I have to watch the time frame for sure when I file for a reconsideration on this RAYNAUD'S claim. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFO.

"Can the C&P examiner change the rules that govern the rating system?"

Only an amendment to 38 USC can do that. And these rating schedules do change once in a while and we post that info here.

" What is the Training Manual for!!!!!!!!!!! BS. "

As much as VA uses 38 USC,CFR and M21-1 and training manuals and letters against us-

we can use all those regs against THEM!!!

If the enemy attacks ,no sense in making a frontal assault without retrieving the enemy's weapons and using their ammo against them.

It is the same principle.

I feel you have a very valid claim here and you can see athadit how many very valid claims the VA denies and then we have to fight back.Everyone here gave you good advise.

"I will wait until my other claims are finished before filling a NOD OR RECONSIDERATION. "

Mark your calendar for the NOD cut off date.

I had the same concern myself-I kept asking the VA to CUE itself on an award letter I got- I received some ridiculous responses.

Meantime my AO IHD claim at a different VARO could overcome any need for NOD but time was running out so I just mailed them the NOD and asked them to correct their errors in it which I also listed.Almost every sentence was wrong.

I specifically asked them -in the NOD- to answer a question that impacts on ALL widows and widowers of SC vets.

The question arose from what they didn't do in the award letter.I have a past BVA decision to back mysef up as well as 38 USC,CFR,M21-1 etc etc.

I ended by saying if they cannot answer that question then I will ask the same question of the new House Veterans Affairs Committee.

I was worried that this NOD would cause them to pull my AO claim back from Phila and if they do I will get on the phone with NVLSP right away-

They better not do that. Then again the Buffalo VARO takes about a year to go over the NODs that are color coded by receipt date and they dont usually read most of them for at least a year so I might have had no real concern at all.

HELLO, Again I just don't beleive what my VA REP tells me, I called and told him that I had new evidence in support of the claim concerning the DENIAL for RAYNAUD'S DISEASE, I told him I will wait until my other claims were finished, He said NO bring the evidence in right away and he would fill the reconsideration or NOD. Now if I am correct this will hold up my other claims, I took his advice before hesitantly, He said that my claims would not be held up on other issues, We filed the claim, And sure enough my claims were held up. Don't get me wrong I think there are some good VA REPS out there, But when I got the first rejection for the claim for RAYNAUD'S DISEASE being secondary to DLE, I told one other VA REP that the decision was wrong and he replied , YOU CAN'T fight the doctor (C&P examiner). Even though he was a trainee its no excuse for a !!!!!!!! statment like that. I do have another VA rep but I am also leery of him also. WHAT THE ?