Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Question

Rate this question

highlander1s

Question

I was recently diagnosed with type ll diabetes and the VA Dr said I should file a claim on this since I was in Vietnam. I did and got a letter back saying I had to show evidence of this condition existed from military service to the present time.

I thought this had changed since I was in Vietnam there was a presumptive claue now.

How do I respond as far as completing my claim form. thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Someone is trying to blow smoke somewhere... Here is a link to the VA's Q&A on Diabetes as a presumptive disease for Vietnam veterans.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/diabete2.htm

I hope it helps you, especially question 6 - call them on this.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• HadIt.com Elder

Good God, what ignorance on the VA's part. DMII is presumptive for AO exposure and all "boots on the ground" Vietnam vets are considered exposed. Of course, the VA did deny a claim of mine saying I was not a Vietnam vet when I had it on my DD214. I got SC'ed for DMII 35 years after RVN, so file your claim. Get checked for secondary conditions as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

It doesn't surprise me. I just had a VA eye C&P and found out I had some eye condition starting, secondary to my presumptive SC type II diabetes and in the VCAA letter they've asked me for evidence, about it, from when I was in the service until present. Dahhhhhhhhhhh!! Oh well.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I was recently diagnosed with type ll diabetes and the VA Dr said I should file a claim on this since I was in Vietnam. I did and got a letter back saying I had to show evidence of this condition existed from military service to the present time.

I thought this had changed since I was in Vietnam there was a presumptive claue now.

How do I respond as far as completing my claim form. thanks

Do this: va form 21-4138. FIll it out with the personal information.

Type 2 diabetes (also known as Type II diabetes mellitus or adult-onset

diabetes)

I have been diagnosed with Adult Onset Diabetes. This is a presumptive disability that is stated in the title 38 cfr 3.307. It is listed under 3.309 as I have satisfied 3.307 requirements.

A veteran who, during active military, naval, or air service, served in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975, shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to an herbicide agent, unless there is affirmative evidence to establish that the veteran was not exposed to any such agent during that service. The last date on which such a veteran shall be presumed to have been exposed to an herbicide agent shall be the last date on which he or she served in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975. Service in the Republic of Vietnam includes service in the waters offshore and service in other locations if the conditions of service involved duty or visitation in the Republic of Vietnam.

Chloracne or other acneform disease consistent with chloracne

Type 2 diabetes (also known as Type II diabetes mellitus or adult-onset

diabetes)

Hodgkin's disease

Multiple myeloma

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

Acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy

Porphyria cutanea tarda

Prostate cancer

Respiratory cancers (cancer of the lung, bronchus, larynx, or trachea)

Soft-tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's

sarcoma, or mesothelioma)

Note 1: The term ``soft-tissue sarcoma'' includes the following:

Adult fibrosarcoma

Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans

Malignant fibrous histiocytoma

Liposarcoma

Leiomyosarcoma

Epithelioid leiomyosarcoma (malignant leiomyoblastoma)

Rhabdomyosarcoma

Ectomesenchymoma

Angiosarcoma (hemangiosarcoma and lymphangiosarcoma)

Proliferating (systemic) angioendotheliomatosis

Malignant glomus tumor

Malignant hemangiopericytoma

Synovial sarcoma (malignant synovioma)

Malignant giant cell tumor of tendon sheath

Malignant schwannoma, including malignant schwannoma with

rhabdomyoblastic differentiation (malignant Triton tumor), glandular and

epithelioid malignant schwannomas

Malignant mesenchymoma

Malignant granular cell tumor

Alveolar soft part sarcoma

Epithelioid sarcoma

Clear cell sarcoma of tendons and aponeuroses

Extraskeletal Ewing's sarcoma

Congenital and infantile fibrosarcoma

Malignant ganglioneuroma

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

actually unnecessary for me to chime in here since you guys have it covered, but it sounds like someone is just using the standard wording for claims as opposed to the presumptive language. Obviously if you have evidence of the condition starting after service, it helps your cause greatly, but some AO presumptive conditions don't rear their ugly heads for years.

highlander, put in a claim for these secondary to DMII/AO expsoure if you have a diagnosis of them: peripheral neuropathy (numbness/tngling of the extremities), diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma or cataracts, hypertension that began AFTER diagnosis of DMII, skin problems, heart disease, leukemias of any sort, prostate cancer (not enlraged or benign hypertrophy, only cancer), diabetic nephropathy, respiratory cancers and symptoms of parkinsons.