Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Beware "veterans Affiars Services"

Rate this question

Veldrina

Question

I'm sure this has come out before, but as my job just recently posted this again & asked us to warn vets, I'm posting it again here. Veterans Affairs Services (VAS) is NOT affiliated with us in any way shape or form...beware! there have been many cons from this group & many vets & families have lost money to these disreputable scoundrels.

The attached VA Office of Security and Law Enforcement (OS&LE) bulletin contains an advisory from the National Guard concerning a group calling itself “Veterans Affairs Services.” This entity, whose name and seal are similar to VA’s, is said to be gathering personal information on Veterans.

VA’s OS&LE has requested dissemination of this advisory to make it clear that this group has no affiliation with VA and to prevent unwitting release of Personally Identifiable Information.

Please share this information with your colleagues and clients, as appropriate.

The following is an advisory sent out by the National Guard Bureau (NGB) in reference to a group called “Veterans Affairs Services

An organization called Veterans Affairs Services (VAS) is providing benefit and general information on VA and gathering personal information on veterans. This organization is not affiliated with VA in any way. Websites with the name "VA services" immediately after the "www" ARE NOT part of the Department of Veterans Affairs; the real VA website ends in .gov.

If approached or called, do not offer them any information concerning yourself or data on other veterans. The Department of Veterans Affairs does not randomly call veterans, nor does it ask veterans for information which it does not already have. If you have not dealt with the VA previously and in person, then you receive a call from someone saying they are with the VA or something similar sounding, hang up the phone. Do not respond to emails which suggest that they are from the VA. The VA never conducts official business nor asks for personal information by email.

VAS may be gaining access to military personnel through their close resemblance to the VA name and seal. NGB Legal Counsel has requested that the NGB Provost Marshal Office coordinate with DoD to inform military installations, particularly mobilization sites, of this group and their lack of affiliation or endorsement by VA to provide any services.

VA Police Services are urged to disseminate this information in case of inquiries from veterans and to prevent their unwitting release of Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There was some group calling itself Navy Veterans Charity that made off with about 60 million bucks here in Florida. The guy who was the boss disappeared into thin air. Nobody even knows his real name. He got his picture taken with George Bush.

There was some group calling itself Navy Veterans Charity that made off with about 60 million bucks here in Florida. The guy who was the boss disappeared into thin air. Nobody even knows his real name. He got his picture taken with George Bush.

We had this same group I think in Virginia. They were caught and caused all of the legit org to have to refile!!

Thanks Veldrina

This news has been posted around the vet net sites and maybe here last month but you gave us a good reminder for anyone who missed this news before.

There are ways to check any vet charity on the internet to see how much donations really help vets.

One of the best ways to donate to vets,in my opinion, is to donate to your VAMC's voluntary service department.

They definitely make sure any donation is used for the many needs that hospitalized vets have.

I never stay on the phone long enough to even hear some of these charity spiels.I usually abruptly say Gee thanks for calling me but I don't need any money and this sometimes stops them cold. :rolleyes:

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta,

When I use to work downtown San Antonio next to the Alamo, I would get hit on by people asking me for money. So, what I would do before they could ask was to reverse it on them and ask them if they has any spare change, or enough for a cup of coffee. You should see the look on their faces :biggrin: .

Papa

Thanks Veldrina

This news has been posted around the vet net sites and maybe here last month but you gave us a good reminder for anyone who missed this news before.

There are ways to check any vet charity on the internet to see how much donations really help vets.

One of the best ways to donate to vets,in my opinion, is to donate to your VAMC's voluntary service department.

They definitely make sure any donation is used for the many needs that hospitalized vets have.

I never stay on the phone long enough to even hear some of these charity spiels.I usually abruptly say Gee thanks for calling me but I don't need any money and this sometimes stops them cold. :rolleyes:

it truly is disgusting the depths some folks will sink to for $$. If u ever need help filling out forms & such, remember that that's what DAV, American Legion etc are there for, and u can sometimes ask help from the help desk if they aren't too busy. Hell, I've helped ppl fill them out at the RenFaire! (yes, i carry stacks of the forms with me....it's amazing how many vets frequent the faires)

Galls me the lowlifes who drain money away from the most deserving.

If you want to give to charity: do the research and give.

Treat 100% of solicited charities as scam.

JUST SAY NO!