Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long At The Rating Board?

Rate this question

Franks

Question

Hello all, I am new to the site but have known about it for sometime. I was recently awarded Service connection for Bipolar disorder from the BVA and receive the award letter. However, there was not rating given. So after some research I realize that the next step in the process is for it to be sent back to the VARO in Tampa. So my questions are:

1. How long does it usually takes for the VA to come to a rating decision?

2. What are the typical rating given to someone with bipolar?

Thanks.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's a good idea to expect a yr or two before you see the $$$$. If their good at low balling a rating, they can put them out faster sometimes. Making sure they've done all they can to prevent a veteran from getting anything takes longer.

You can call the 800 number and get a rep to set it up, or go to the Regional office, too. As of 2010 all current recipients have until next year I think to convert to DD, and new recipients don't have the option of a check anymore.

You can go to any bank, pretty much, and request a special direct deposit account just for government benefits-they have a name, but it escapes me. Provided you don't co-mingle other monies in there, its somewhat more protected from attachment should you find yourself in financial straits, too. good luck.

Ok thanks for the information. The date on the award letter was dated Feb. 08 so its been a month so far. How would one set up direct deposit with the VA?

Well from traversing these boards it seems that a majority of veterans recieve the money wihtin 90 days. One post stated that "If your award is less than 25k you will hear something with a week to 10 days. If it is over 25k it depends on who is available to sign off on the award. Even then it less than 30 days. If it is over100k it has to go to Central Office in Washington. That can take a few months." So my hopes are higher now.

I called today and my appeal claim for secondary (all the way up to CAVC and back) is still at the rater (from the end of January, I think). I was told today that "they have all of the information they need" so I took that to mean it will not go back to development for any reason now. It has been 4 years and 6 months now so depending on the percentage rating it could be a large retro.

Is it fair of me to feel pretty good that it is still at the rater and they now have "all of the information they need"?

Well from traversing these boards it seems that a majority of veterans recieve the money wihtin 90 days. One post stated that "If your award is less than 25k you will hear something with a week to 10 days. If it is over 25k it depends on who is available to sign off on the award. Even then it less than 30 days. If it is over100k it has to go to Central Office in Washington. That can take a few months." So my hopes are higher now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dean

I would not assume anything because my claim is at the rater. You have waited over 4 years. If you have to wait another six months that would be just a small part of the time you have already waited. Trying to read the tea leaves of the VA is impossible. I was told once that my claim was at the "Front Office" and that I should assume a large retro. What I got was a denial. Take those statements from the VA for what they are worth which is nothing until you get the decision in your hand.

The flow chart is online so I can see what step I am at and that if they have all the information they need it will not go back to development. I know the depth of the documentation and it is clear......

Dean

I would not assume anything because my claim is at the rater. You have waited over 4 years. If you have to wait another six months that would be just a small part of the time you have already waited. Trying to read the tea leaves of the VA is impossible. I was told once that my claim was at the "Front Office" and that I should assume a large retro. What I got was a denial. Take those statements from the VA for what they are worth which is nothing until you get the decision in your hand.