VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Support Statement From Wife- Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

Infantry1985

Question

Could you guys look at this support statement from my wife and tell me if its good or bad? I'm going for an increase in my right should connection because I have pain all the time and my mobility is pretty much shot. I'm currently 40% total for my lower back, nerve damage in legs, and right shoulder(10%).

Thanks in advance,

T

Wife Statement.pdf

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Could you guys look at this support statement from my wife and tell me if its good or bad? I'm going for an increase in my right should connection

because I have pain all the time and my mobility is pretty much shot. I'm currently 40% total for my lower back, nerve damage in legs, and right shoulder(10%).

T

Infantry,

You can certainly submit what you want but I do not see this lay evidence will

be of any help in getting your right shoulder a higher evaluation than what is currently

granted.

As for pain - that is already considered in the percentage you receive.

To get this increased you will need medical evidence that addresses range of motion.

In reading your wife's statement - it looks like you also want to claim some additional conditions

such as a mental health disability secondary to your current SC'd disabilities.

If you want to claim it - then you need to claim it as your wife's statement

does not meet the requirements of submitting a claim for a specific benefit.

As for the issue of weight gain mentioned in this statement - I do not feel this will be / is compensable.

VA will simply say if you can't exercise due to your disability then you need to adjust

your caloric intake accordingly and they will gladly provide a consult with a VAMC dietician.

JMHO

Thank you for your quick response, i'm also have an IMO from my chiopractor that I see about every 2 weeks with all the range measurements in it. After reading the site, it seemed like this would only help. I plan on making a claim for a secoundary for depression due to pain in the near future.

Thanks again..

T

Infantry,

You can certainly submit what you want but I do not see this lay evidence will

be of any help in getting your right shoulder a higher evaluation than what is currently

granted.

As for pain - that is already considered in the percentage you receive.

To get this increased you will need medical evidence that addresses range of motion.

In reading your wife's statement - it looks like you also want to claim some additional conditions

such as a mental health disability secondary to your current SC'd disabilities.

If you want to claim it - then you need to claim it as your wife's statement

does not meet the requirements of submitting a claim for a specific benefit.

As for the issue of weight gain mentioned in this statement - I do not feel this will be / is compensable.

VA will simply say if you can't exercise due to your disability then you need to adjust

your caloric intake accordingly and they will gladly provide a consult with a VAMC dietician.

JMHO

Also, is there anyway that she can reword anything to mean more or look better for my case?

Thank you for your quick response, i'm also have an IMO from my chiopractor that I see about every 2 weeks with all the range measurements in it. After reading the site, it seemed like this would only help. I plan on making a claim for a secoundary for depression due to pain in the near future.

Thanks again..

T

• HadIt.com Elder

You need "medical evidence" to support new claims and for an increase. I had my brother and wife write statements for me long ago. It did seem to help in my psychological claim. However, the medical is most important especially for physical impairment. Your shoulder will be almost all ROM. If you have full ROM or anything close you won't get an increase most likely. What kind of pain meds do you take? This can be basis of increased disablility if the meds affect your ability to think. You want to hook up psychological and physical issues. Vets don't do this enough, but you need medical opinions for this.

Thanks John! I've been on pain meds (Vicoden and Muscle relaxants) for about 4 years, also, about 2 years ago I was prescribed adderall due to decreased focus due to the pain and pain medicaion. I have since moved around for the last year and not gotten the adderall re filled by a phyc doctor. Do you think I have another claim, John? Whats your thoughts on how to start this?

You need "medical evidence" to support new claims and for an increase. I had my brother and wife write statements for me long ago. It did seem to help in my psychological claim. However, the medical is most important especially for physical impairment. Your shoulder will be almost all ROM. If you have full ROM or anything close you won't get an increase most likely. What kind of pain meds do you take? This can be basis of increased disablility if the meds affect your ability to think. You want to hook up psychological and physical issues. Vets don't do this enough, but you need medical opinions for this.

Also, I do have an IMO coming from my chiropractor showing horrible ROM, decrease more than half of normal ROM.

Thanks John! I've been on pain meds (Vicoden and Muscle relaxants) for about 4 years, also, about 2 years ago I was prescribed adderall due to decreased focus due to the pain and pain medicaion. I have since moved around for the last year and not gotten the adderall re filled by a phyc doctor. Do you think I have another claim, John? Whats your thoughts on how to start this?