Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Upset... Ptsd Storm On The Horizon

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I mentioned here before (I think) that I've been having trouble with IBS symptoms for some time. Finally got to see a new PCP (a real doctor!!) about it two weeks ago. (only 5 months after asking for help with the problem, but that's a whole 'nother rant). She said she wanted an endoscopy & a colonoscopy done. I told her that going 150+ miles round trip to the VERY busy VAMC was not something I could handle; it was hard enough to come into the small-town local clinic.

She understood and said she would request a local doc do the tests.

Yesterday I got a letter from the VAMC telling me to call for a new appointment at the Gastroenterology clinic... at the VAMC. I called my little VA clinic and asked what's this mean? The NP I talked to checked with my PCP doc & my notes. Yep, Doc requested I be seen locally. The NP called the VAMC for me to ask what the deal was.... She called me back to tell me that the VAMC told her that since they can provide the service, I have to go there.

I'm so freaked out about this, I can't even begin to express it. The last time I went to the VAMC, I had a major panic attack, and the provider I was seeing had to ask the on-call psychiatrist to come in to talk to me. Thank God my husband was with me, or I'm afraid they would have admitted me.

Now I'm supposed to go down there an let them do extremely invasive tests??? The thought of going to someone locally doesn't thrill me, but at least I know I'll be able to get back to my bunker quickly.....I don't know what to do.

I'm so angry. And scared. And sick to my stomach. "We understand PTSD!" "We care about our PTSD Vets!!"

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

Here I am again with my one more thing. I think so sporadic.

I had a female surgeon remove a cyst from my back. Took about four months for the hole to heal. Problem here is that the scar is five time bigger than the chronic returning cyst was. This largerness problem is because i think she missed the cyst.

Best get the Best without limitations. I did not know I had 8 pre-cancerous polups in my Colon, and I was grateful to have them removed.

Edited by Stretch

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

Carlie

My information was mailed to me through a newsletter for Vets in the Gulf War registry. There are additional articles I found thru a google search.

http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/11/17/2010-28707/presumptive-service-connection-for-diseases-associated-with-persian-gulf-war-service-functional

This is one of the articles. The info I got may be wrong, but as I recall there were three presumtive conditions for service in the gulf.

Carlie

My information was mailed to me through a newsletter for Vets in the Gulf War registry. There are additional articles I found thru a google search.

http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/11/17/2010-28707/presumptive-service-connection-for-diseases-associated-with-persian-gulf-war-service-functional

This is one of the articles. The info I got may be wrong, but as I recall there were three presumtive conditions for service in the gulf.

John, yeah, I do.

My own insurance will cover about half the cost of the whole procedure, but I don't see I have any choice.

The VA isn't budging, even though my psychiatrist, my therapist, and my PCP have all tried to help.

It sounds crazy, I know. But I freak out in elevators, crowds, heavy traffic, any small room with strangers in it....

The tiny hospital I want to go to is ... tiny. Two floors. I'll be able to have my daughter or husband with me until the last minute. In a private room, not in the crowded waiting room at the VAMC.

My husband says I should go ahead to the VAMC and let my anxious nature take it's course, then let them deal with my panic attack. I'm terrified that they would admit me and keep me against my will.

I wanted to fight this on principle, but I can't. I can't .

• HadIt.com Elder

When I got my colonoscopy I chose a guy to do it that had done about 10,000 of them. The procedure has some risks. If a medical student does it he/she could rupture your bowel. This does happen in a very small number of cases. I don't want the VA doing that for me. If I were to get hep C or HIV from dirty equipment you might be reading about me in the newspaper (insane vet goes on rampage). I would pay the difference. That is why if you are 100% or TDIU you should get SSD and medicare.

Just an update...

Last week I got another letter from the VAMC GI unit, telling me to call for an appointment. I called, and told them that my psychiatrist, therapist, and PCP had all been working to get me approved for Non-VA tests, etc.

They had no record of any requests at all, other than a referral from my PCP for the treatment at the VAMC. The lady at GI said to call and have one of my providers put in a request for a non-va voucher. I could only reach my therapist, who said he would try.

I just now opened another letter from VAMC GI telling me to call for an appointment.

It seems like none of my three providers have any influence here.

I'm grateful that we have OHI, but with the deductible, lab costs, & co-pays, this is going to cost a penny or three.

I guess I'm feeling disgusted. It's hard to keep my mind on my blessings sometimes. Somebody kick me, will you?