Rate this question

carlie

Question

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I got tired of being seen by residents and NP's at the VA, so they switched me to a clinic with experienced doctors. After a few years, they suddenly started bringing NP's in and the quality of care went downhill.

A lot of time, people with good insurance may have great coverage, but a high co-pay or deductible. That can drive them to seek care at the VA to help keep costs under control.

Priority groups really do make a difference. I was sitting at the pharmacy and heard a couple of folks discussing how lame it was that they would have to wait six months for an appointment.

If, you have good insurance, why would you want to go to the VA for health care, and get seen by a NP? JMHO

Papa

It's been my experience that NPs are more compassionate, listen more attentively, and don't take the "I know more about your body than you do" attitude, that many MDs do. I had been seeing a NP for years, until his own illness took over, was transferred to a MD. I told the MD I believe I had a stroke, explained the systems to her, and she sent me to a friggin eye Doctor! Turns out, after my Neuro ordered a new MRI, I DID have a stroke. Now, except for my Neurologist (who is AWESOME), I request NPs, if available.

I am Not One, But I find it a slap in the face for the POW's & Purple Heart's not being in the #1 category. JMO

David

Edited by dsgsr

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion but all Veterans should be Priority 1. Once you are in scheduling and appointments should be based on how bad a Vet needs to be seen.

My PCP who I really like has been treating me for almost four years and my shrink who is ok has been treating me for over three years. When I make an appointment with them I am usually seen within minutes of arrival. My only hangup is the lab that usually runs 40 minutes to an hour behind and will not let you check in until 2 hours before your exam.

I have Insurance for anything big but I got used to going to VA when I had no Insurance.Like John says sometimes you need to remember that the VA gives and the VA takes

The VA already knows about your Insurance. They don't have to ask

Not necessarily. Things change, and that is why they redundantly ask for your dependent status as well.