Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I hope I'm not wrong to post this, but I feel like it's something that we can't stress enough...

We all have a right to be proud Veterans, and should wave that banner high if we want to. We all here sacrificed, willingly. As it was said by someone here, we all signed a blank check to the Military to give our lives (I can't remember who said it, but it really helped me). We were injured in a thousand different ways and that makes us a community, helping each other and sharing the glow of winning some respect and a little compensation that's too often long overdue.

We can talk to each other here about our injuries and our fight for what the VA owes us based on the contract they are meant to uphold. But when it comes to talking to non-vets or non-disabled vets about our benefits, etc., not so much.

It's hard not to talk about your struggles with the VA with the people in your 'real' life, it's even harder sometimes to keep your victories to yourself. But humans don't seem to be wired so that they'll be truly happy for someone else's perceived luck.

People are really strange. They look at you and if you have all your limbs and can walk and talk, they figure you're just fine. They don't live with pain, or fear, or both. They didn't sign their lives away to the military, and if they did, they figure that they survived so you must have too.

No one needs to know anything. Not your siblings, cousins, aunts, friends, not even your kids until they're on deck to take care of you. Kids can be the worst, cause they don't understand and when asked what their mom or dad does, they'll say precocious things like "Oh, Mom got hurt in the Army and now they pay her not to work". Then when you're seen at the post office or market, they see a pretty healthy looking person. "What's up with that? They look like they can work... Geez, my back hurts sometimes, and I sure get depressed sometimes too, but no one pays me to sit on my buns and collect money from the government. Huh... must be nice!"

When we first got into the VA healthcare system (after many years of not knowing we could) my hubby was so tickled he was telling everyone at work about it. Me, I had no one to tell. But after reading here a bit, I told him to STOP TALKING!! He heard "Free healthcare? Must be nice!" from more than one of his co-workers, even though my husband's got burn scars on his arms, hands, head, ears that they can clearly see... they just don't make the connection.

Criminy, I worry about saying too much on here. I know the people who post here are good guys who are here looking for answers and/or are here to help. But I also know there are countless faceless lurkers...

Anyway, as it's been said before, here it is again: Keep your VA benefits & your finances PRIVATE. You, your spouse, and whoever you might have helping you handle your affairs are the only people who need to be in the inner sanctum!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I volunteered twice during my so-called army career. I was sorry both times. Funny thing I get along very well with lifers I meet at the VA. I understand the sacrifice to their families they made and how little they got paid for 20-30 years of service. I did not get along with lifers when I was a 20 year old PFC. I admit that I hated them. I regret that now.

IMO - it's OK to posts some of your VA/SSA business on an anonymous web site

BUT

with people in person - to include family

MOST of YOUR BUSINESS

is

NONE of THEIR BUSINESS.

Hedge I don't like reading the comments section after an article any more for benefits that veterans get! They upset me to much and make my mood/PSTD or anxiety ready to explode on nearby mankind. And then you will read the news article about the vet that blew his brains out or shot a bunch of people cause he couldn't cope!!

There is a no win situation about this because then the public will say "I wonder what made him/her do it"???

Some of or actually a lot of the public and especially those that have not served can not see the forest for the trees! Lame!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I bought a boat from this “non veteran” for $2000.00. The deal was closed and the title transferred. About six months later he comes up to me and tells me he wants $20.00 for my share of the property tax for the previous year because I owned the boat for half of that year. I told him that he should have discussed this with me at the time I bought the boat. Unknown to him I was just giving him some advice, not making an argument. I totally planned on reaching for my wallet and pulling out a twenty dollar bill. He responded as to why should he have brought it up at the time he sold the boat? I told him that if he did I would have let him know that I do not have to pay property tax because the boat was my primary housing . He shot back that does not matter. You still need to [pay property tax. I responded that I am a 100% disabled veteran. As such I am not required to pay property tax on my primary residence in this county.

The dude went ballistic. He did not like the fact that disabled veterans got anything for their disabilities. I heard the “F” word about ten times. This guy hated veterans in general. I did not matter if they were disabled or not. He just went on a rant as he was walking away. I just stopped reaching for my wallet to give him the twenty and have not talked to him since.

You nailed it Hedgey. I have to tell my employer that I get my health care because I have to take a day off to go (5.5 hours round trip) thru the VA but I never elaborate on my disabiities or what I receive from the VA. I figure the details are best left in private.

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess this one depends on the local property tax law.

Here, If you own such things as a boat, car, etc. on Jan 1, you pay the property/excise taxes, even if you sell it the next day.

Veterans disabled or not, do pay such taxes here. There is a reduction possible for veterans that are "P&T" only.

It's surprising how may people get angry at veterans over such stupid issues.

I bought a boat from this "non veteran" for $2000.00. The deal was closed and the title transferred. About six months later he comes up to me and tells me he wants $20.00 for my share of the property tax for the previous year because I owned the boat for half of that year. I told him that he should have discussed this with me at the time I bought the boat. Unknown to him I was just giving him some advice, not making an argument. I totally planned on reaching for my wallet and pulling out a twenty dollar bill. He responded as to why should he have brought it up at the time he sold the boat? I told him that if he did I would have let him know that I do not have to pay property tax because the boat was my primary housing . He shot back that does not matter. You still need to [pay property tax. I responded that I am a 100% disabled veteran. As such I am not required to pay property tax on my primary residence in this county.

The dude went ballistic. He did not like the fact that disabled veterans got anything for their disabilities. I heard the "F" word about ten times. This guy hated veterans in general. I did not matter if they were disabled or not. He just went on a rant as he was walking away. I just stopped reaching for my wallet to give him the twenty and have not talked to him since.