Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Center

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I realize that I need some help, and have an appointment at the Vet Center. If, that does not work out, I will seek private help.

Papa

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It is so good to know many still can get good help from Vet Centers.

I saw the Kennedy series the other day and missed some of it-

his "ask Not" speech.In 1962? I missed that whole part

Twenty years later that speech was still resonating with me.I had many volunteer jobs up to then but I felt I really had never asked myself ,as a civilian, what I ever did for my country.

So I promptly volunteered to work at a vet center -to clean the bathrooms or make cupcakes for special occasions or file stuff or answer the phones etc.

But after getting to know me , the PTSD vets voted me into the weekly PTSD group.

That was one of the most significant moments of my life and it altered me forever.

No one can possibly understand what PTSD is except for another PTSD vet.

I think my benefit to the group became sort of that of the spouse,significant other, sister, mother- I listened without judgement.

It was a rough experience but it changed my life and I saw how important the group was to these veterans- who felt completely alienated by their family members and even their non vet friends.

Our country in the 1980s was still discriminating against Vietnam veterans.The warrior was blamed for the war.

I still have my VA ID card from the vet center on my PC desk.

But I really never need a reminder of what that experience was all about.It was for many of the vets, the only place they didn't feel alone or misunderstood.

What we discussed always stayed there. Our VA team leader had PTSD too. It was an environment of trust and acceptance.

Probably ,in my opinion,the vet centers are one of the Best programs the VA has to offer.

Thank all of you wonderful people for your support.

Papa

To each his own. I go to the Vet Center once a month because I still have an appeal in the system.

When my claim is settled, either for or against me, the Vet center is history. I don't want to relive the

past. If they could wipe my memory of Nam away I would be all set but that is not possible. I don't want

talk to some PHD or anyone else about my past or present. Thats just my opinion.

Bill