Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

Is there anyone receiving A&A from the VA and can give me some

advice?

My C&P results recommended A&A and I thought since they awarded

100% P&T with proposed incompetency, why is it that nothing was

mentioned in the decision letter concerning A&A :unsure:

Is this something that I have to submit a request for?

While I'm awake :wacko: , I guess my post about the insurance got

lost somewhere. I'm kind of confused with all these different types

of insurance that we are entitled.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Sidney -You should apply for Aid and Attendance.

DId they make any statement as to Housebound or A & A in your award letter?

I used the A & A reg for application as an accrued benefit under Nehmer:

"Under 38 C.F.R. § 3.352(a) the following criteria will be

accorded consideration in determining the need for regular aid

and attendance: the inability of a claimant to dress or undress

herself, or to keep himself or herself ordinarily clean and

presentable; frequent need of adjustment of any special

prosthetic or orthopedic appliances which by reason of the

particular disability cannot be done without aid (this will not

include the adjustment of appliances which normal persons would

be unable to adjust without such aid, such as supports, belts,

lacing at the back, etc.); the inability of a claimant to feed

himself or herself through loss of coordination of upper

extremities or through extreme weakness; inability to attend to

the wants of nature; or incapacity, physical or mental, which

requires care or assistance on a regular basis to protect the

claimant from hazards or dangers incident to his daily

environment.

It is not required that all of the disabling conditions

enumerated be found to exist before a favorable ruling may be

made. The particular personal functions which the claimant is

unable to perform should be considered in connection with his or

her condition as a whole. It is only necessary that the evidence

establish that the claimant is so helpless as to need regular aid

and attendance, not that there be a constant need.

Determinations that the claimant is so helpless, as to be in need

of regular aid and attendance will not be based solely on an

opinion that the claimant's condition is such that it would

require her to be in bed. They must be based on the actual

requirements of personal assistance from others. 38 C.F.R.

§ 3.352(a); Turco v. Brown, 9 Vet. App. 222, 224 (1996)."

A spouses statement can be very helpful for A & A awards.

The VA rated my husbands stroke (was 1151 now is SC due to DMII) incorrectly (I have CUE pending on that but the ratings do reveal upper and lower right side extremity weakness,

also he could not tie his shoes and needed velcro shows after his stroke,

got lost on a VA day trip,(documented)

had to have van pick him up for VA Day treatment,(documented)

could walk ( after VA said he would never walk again)

but only for short distances, could not drive, write name legibly,handle dialing a dial phone, couldnt use PC well after stroke, didnt carry any money as he could not determine value of coins and bills.

didnt take s shower for 3 weeks while at PTSD inhouse program because he needed my help to determine water temperature,

bent over in a store once and I read in big black letters -Property of the Veterans Administration- across his rear end

(he had put on VA pajamas to go to the store and told me he wore them to see his shrink a few times too and I thought they were light blue slacks he had)

would leave stuff on the stove to heat it up and then walk away and forget it,

I also made statement I had to sell all of my livestock as I couldn't tend to the animals and leave him alone in the house - specially during lamb season which required me to often spend almost the entire night and much of the day in the barn.

Stuff like that is what VA looks for- not every part of the reg has to be met.

I don't know if they will award the A & A but he met the prime requirement of Aid and Attendance-as it was unsafe for him to be alone and he needed the help of others- not for everything- but for the safety factor.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Vicdamon12 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ArmyTom earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • kidva earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • kidva went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • kidva earned a badge
      Collaborator
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use