Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits Exempt From Claims Or Creditors

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

At least this VA form is saying that benefits are "supposed" to be exempt except as to claims of the United States.

http://www.vba.va.go...rms/21-8764.pdf

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Yes, there has been a lot of discussion on this. Having read on this, I recommend:

1. Keep your VA check deposits in a seperate account. That is, dont have your VA check, social security, and railroad retirement deposited to the same account, because, then you can get into a legal battle "that was not VA money that was garnished..it was money from another source".

2. Tell your bank and make em write on your records this account is exclusively for deposit of VA benefit checks. Reason: If the bank "doesnt know" this is a VA deposit account, then it could honor garnishments...and you would have to hire a lawyer to TRY to get your money back. Avoid this if all possible like the bubonic plague.

3. Of course, manage your money wisely and avoid garnishments altogether. Write a letter to a creditor if you dont think you owe his bill. Often the bill will be assumed to be valid by the courts if you do not "protest" the bill within a reasonable period of time.

4. Remember, that in the case of child support payments or IRS stuff..this protection probably wont help you a lot. There are court cases about Vets who protested this, but I am pretty sure not all the Vets won.