Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reimbursment For Equipment

Rate this question

KingODAbattle

Question

Due to a back injury while in the service, I have to continually go to a chiropractor to get my hips re-aligned. Otherwise my back cramps and I cannot walk or stand for very long. This is continuous and I do not think it will ever go away. The VA has me at 20% for this disability. So the Chiropractor prescribed a spa for me (seriously have the script and everything, getting it tax free right now) and said that the hydrotherapy should help with the muscle spasms.

So my question to the gurus of the site:

Can I claim the purchase of the spa and be reimbursed for the spa?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction for the direction for the paper work side?

Any other suggestions?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Taxwise I think you can, if it was expensive enough, or even get insurance to pay for it as a medical device...unless you are rated TDIU or 100%, or on ILP im not sure if you can claim it through VA. Ive only seen 100% or IU/ILP guys able to claim stuff through the VA-and that isn't really reimbursement. They demonstrate a need for something and submit it through the VA and the VA provides it.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

Since your service connected there is a small chance that you could get the VA to pay but the people to talk to is your VA Doc and or the prosthetics department. I think that you should try just my opinion of who to check with and also know that you really have to run it down cause the VA usually starts with no.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

unless your chiro is a VA doc then they will probably say no unless you can get your primary care doc to say it is medically necessary I have gotten a lot of things from them ILP and thru prosthetics but not a pool or a spa then again maybe they just didn't like me but I would try to get them to pay for it upfront getting reimbursed is usually a no go

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

In the "old" days, it was difficult. Since the VA recently approved chiropractic care, you may have a chance if you can find a VA approved chiropractor. I'd ase others mentioned, talk to your VA PCP.

Due to a back injury while in the service, I have to continually go to a chiropractor to get my hips re-aligned. Otherwise my back cramps and I cannot walk or stand for very long. This is continuous and I do not think it will ever go away. The VA has me at 20% for this disability. So the Chiropractor prescribed a spa for me (seriously have the script and everything, getting it tax free right now) and said that the hydrotherapy should help with the muscle spasms.

So my question to the gurus of the site:

Can I claim the purchase of the spa and be reimbursed for the spa?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction for the direction for the paper work side?

Any other suggestions?

I have tried for years to get the VA to pay for a spa. Chiro, Primary Doc, Pain Management Doc, Voc rehab all put in the good word that I would benefit from it, but the faceless person in some office always said no.period. This was at Bay Pines in St. Pete Florida. I'm 90% schedular 100% TDIU,,,so good luck with it. Please post what happens.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you can but you may need to file an appeal, if denied, and it may take yrs. The VA has provided some vets w/spas. You can probably search BVA and CAVC cases for spa and find some cases.

pr