Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Now It's My Turn

Rate this topic

Kim82

Ugh I had a whole thing typed out and the computer decided to delete everything, so I will do this again.

Claim filed May 12 2010

Did all of my C&P exams in Aug of 2010 waited 8 months for them to finally make a decision.

On Wednesday May 18th I checked ebenefits and my claim was closed, went and check the letter generator and found that I was 60% disabled but did not know the break down until now.

On Thursday May 19th I had the UPPP surgery for my sleep apnea.

On Saturday May 21st I was released from the VA hospital and came back home to Vegas (Surgery was in cali) checked the mail when I got home and found a nice fat white envelope.

This is how I was rated:

PTSD 50%

Asthma 10%

Vasovagal Syncope 10%

Total combined rating of 60% with an effective date of May 12 2010

The letter stated that I would receive my back pay within 15 days not sure when the 15 days start but I haven't gotten anything yet. I check everyday hoping that it will be in there but as of yet nothing has changed. I have seen several ppl got the back pay before the letter so it's kinda odd that I have the letter but no back pay.

I also need to file a second claim for Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Tinnitus, Hearing loss, and Allergic Rhinitis. What is the easiest way to file this claim? The first claim I did on my own with no VSO I did add a VSO at the beginning of the year but he was not very helpful with anything so I don't think I want to use him for my next claim. Is there a way to get them to add those conditions to my first claim or is it something that has be started from the beginning again?

I also noticed in the letter it says "Since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination" Now I don't mind having to be seen again but it's not like PTSD is something that goes away it's going to be with me the rest of my life so how can they say it's not permanent? So then I am wondering how often will they re evaluate and after how many years is it considered permanent? I still go and see the VA Therapist at the vet center every two weeks, I still see the VA Physchiatrist for my meds and I do take them. I am doing everything the VA wants me to and yet I have not noticed much difference with my symptoms.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your award.

Get advice from your VSO on the other claims and if you are not satisfied with him, ask for another one.

This is how I was rated:

PTSD 50%

Asthma 10%

Vasovagal Syncope 10%

Total combined rating of 60% with an effective date of May 12 2010

Kim - Congrats on getting some positive adjudication on your claim issues.

If you have legal dependents be sure to submit and sign a completed 21-686c ASAP, along with all documentation requested

on the form.

Also, check for any additional state benefits you may be entitled to at your 60 percent level of SC.

The letter stated that I would receive my back pay within 15 days not sure when the 15 days start but I haven't gotten anything yet. I check everyday hoping that it will be in there but as of yet nothing has changed. I have seen several ppl got the back pay before the letter so it's kinda odd that I have the letter but no back pay.

Don't count on exactly within 15 days. If the VA has your bank routing info and all of your info for direct deposit, the $ will

just get deposited, if not they will mail you a check.

I also need to file a second claim for Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Tinnitus, Hearing loss, and Allergic Rhinitis. What is the easiest way to file this claim? The first claim I did on my own with no VSO I did add a VSO at the beginning of the year but he was not very helpful with anything so I don't think I want to use him for my next claim. Is there a way to get them to add those conditions to my first claim or is it something that has be started from the beginning again?

Claimant's only have one shot at an original claim by way of a 21-526. Since you have now been granted SC all claims after this

are considered as a claim for increase. Probably the easiest way for you to begin a claim on these additional issues would be by

filing a 21-525b on line with VONAPP. If you don't want to have VSO representation you need to rescind the authority you gave them,

I would send them notice of dismissal and I would CC it to the VA.

No, these additional conditions that you request SC for will not be added to your first claim - you you want SC for them you need to

file a claim requesting what you want. Try to do it right from the get-go so you have less problems. In other words think it out first,learn what is needed for success, get it all in order and file the claim. Other's, I'm sure will say just go ahead and file now so you get the earliest effective date possible - BUT IMO - file claims right to start with - if you loose a month or two of compensation so be it.

I'd rather do it right and lockin my SC. Believe me, I have learned this thru decades of experience. JMHO

I also noticed in the letter it says "Since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination" Now I don't mind having to be seen again but it's not like PTSD is something that goes away it's going to be with me the rest of my life so how can they say it's not permanent?

So then I am wondering how often will they re evaluate and after how many years is it considered permanent? I still go and see the VA Therapist at the vet center every two weeks, I still see the VA Physchiatrist for my meds and I do take them. I am doing everything the VA wants me to and yet I have not noticed much difference with my symptoms.

Kim - heck, the VA could come up with a magic pill to cure us all.

You could get employment you can handle that pays good money and your PTSD symptoms

could resolve all together or this disability could become worse. None of us know what the future holds for us.

Until your disability's are shown by medical evidence to be static in nature,without room for improvement, you will be subject to future reviews.

These reviews usually start at 2 or 5 years from the date of prior rating.

Stay in therapy - I say at least 4 to 6 sessions a year for your well being and your medical documentation.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats.

Consider asking for more carefully a lot of 10% ratings can prevent getting 100% using VA fractional math. Carefully consider what you are asking for

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can't work due to the PTSD your best bet is to get an IMO for the PTSD and don't file all these 10% claims. Concentrate on the claim that is your major disability which seems to be PTSD. The picture to look at is your employment. If PTSD is going to make working impossible, or keep you in dead end jobs for the rest of your life then you should look at how you can get it raised to 70%. You will never get to 100% with a bunch of 10% claims.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use