Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mapractice Stats Syracuse

Berta

Question

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/syracuse_va_medical_centers_ma.html

in part:

“In eight cases that were settled administratively or in court, the Syracuse VA paid out more than $2 million in claims.

The new database provides a glimpse at 12,000 claims, many of them medical malpractice complaints, filed against VA medical centers nationwide between 1989 and 2008. The information was recently released by The Project on Government Oversight, a nonprofit government watchdog group that obtained the database from the Department of Veterans Affairs through a Freedom of Information Act request. “

The figures are wrong.

Syracuse was one of the malpracticing VAMCs I named in my FTCA case and I know for a fact that my settlement is not part of these figures.

Every time the VA fails to report a malpractice issue involving a cash settlement ,to the National Practitioners Data Bank (VA has a mandated agreement with the NPDB)-they successfully hide the true cost of VA malpractice from the public and allow negligent VA doctors who were involved to continue to practice at VAs without any disciplinary actions.

I am not done yet with VA General Counsel in this regard.They never reported my settlement to NPDB and the VA doctors from 2 VA facilities (including Syracuse) continued to treat veterans without discipline or even, as far as I know, efforts to get them medically up to par.

Per GAO I was not the only FTCA recipient whose settlement and malpracticing doctors were not reported.

Although I am quick to day VA saves lives, and also most 1151/FTCA issues I hear about have no basis at all -in my opinion-( and I could be wrong on that because it takes a full review of the clinical record)-still -any veteran who feels they have been harmed by VA health care should take action as described in the Please Reads first topic here without delay.

The NPDB mandate should be included in the settlement papers for any successful FTCA and should be followed through with one's lawyer.

About 2 years ago I was talking to a malpractice lawyer who deals with FTCA VA issues and he didn't even know of this mandate.

It is an internal VA agreement (fully accessible on the net)but if they honored it then we would know what doctors have been charged with negligence

and how many vets they really harmed or killed.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet