Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Here Is A Great One For All Vets!

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I have been wondering why the VA has denied me fee base for privately Neurosurgeon whenever Bay Pines does not have a Neurosurgeon. My Primary CBOC Doctor requested this and Bay Pines denied it. I found all this out yesterday which happened to be the day I was going to get a new Tru-scan MRI but was turned away because I just had gallbladder surgery 4 weeks ago and I have a couple of those clips inside of me. They said it has to be at least 8 weeks. I am grateful I told them of the surgery or I would probably be a dead man today. Well I was at work and transported a Resident to the hospital for a MRI. The MRI Tech there has been somebody I have come to known for a few months now and he has given me a lot of information. Well I asked him about the clips and he told me exactly why I have to wait on the MRI. Then I asked him how come the VA does not have a Tru-scan MRI and his reply was simple. He told me that his wife works in Ft Myers for the VA and Bay Pines is insisting they receive a MICROWAVE that Bay Pines purchased. You are asking yourself well what does that have to do with me asking why the VA doesn't have a Tru-scan MRI. He put it in very simple words to me but what he told me I didn't expect. I thought he would say well something to the affect "Well the Tru-scan MRI and the Recumbent MRI...... blah, blah, blah". But I didn't hear that.

Get this, he said they don't have one because that MICROWAVE, yes the one's that heats up food and the one Bay Pines is insisting Ft Myers VA to receive, has cost the VA $15,000. Now, please somebody tell me what MICROWAVE cost fifteen freaking grand!!!!!!! Is this microwave space age and I tell it to make me food and it produces what I requested. Yesterday I talked with JBasser and I was upset whenever I found out the VA declined my Primary CBOC request for me to have fee bases to be treated by a private Neurosurgeon. So how do you think I felt today whenever I found out that this same freaking VA that denied the request has purchased a MICROWAVE for $15,000 for a facility in Ft Myers that says they do not want it but Bay Pines is insisting they receive it? Put yourself in my shoes for one moment. I have done everything ask by the VA plus some on my own, spending thousands upon thousands of dollars of my own $$$ to find out exactly the problem that is going on with my cervical spine. To hear about this microwave really disturbs me and people wonder why the VETERANS are committing suicide on a daily basis or having so many issues with the VA. No, I will not go out that route. But, I am very "hot" right now and I feel that I will go off the deep end on any VA person I talk with right now.

Guess it is time to rock the boat, call the VA ADVOCACY or a few State Representatives. If they don't do nothing, then I think calling the media will be a good option because I think they will eat this one up......

Advice is requested.....

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Bay Pines refuses fee basis all the time. I was driven to Miami for spinal surgery because of no neurosurgeon at Bay Pine and Tampa was booked solid. As long as there is someone in the same state that can do it, they refused me several times on multiple request from my primary doc. I have even had massage therapy turned turned down.

• HadIt.com Elder

The main reason that VA does not approve Fee Service is because they are afraid other Veterans would ask for it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I was refused fee basis because the service was available at my VAMC. The problem was, they only offered it once a week - Tuesdays - and my wife has class Tues and Thurs. During the school year, I have to pick my kids up from school, and because I can bet that they will be not just a little late with my appointment, but VERY late, AND the VAMC is 3 hours away, I can't make those appointments. I've even complained all the way up to the boss's office with no luck. SO, I'm trying to transfer to another VAMC with better hours, even though I don't know anyone there, or what to expect JUST so I can accommodate their schedule.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

You guys/gals can believe or take it for what it is worth or not but I am just passing on what was told to me.

So Tampa has a Neurologist? And my Primary CBOC stated they didn't have one....I guess I am going to take advice from someone and transfer all my stuff to Orlando because I am hearing the treatment there is outstanding. I did send Senator Rubio a complaint about the denial of fee base services. Will it do any good? Probably not but at least I felt I did something on my part.

Will filing a complain with Patient Advocacy do any good?

The VA approved a fee basis for me as they didn't have a neoroligist at the time, They sent me to University Physicians-used to me Kino in Tucson. However is was an half *** exam as no one told this doctor what he was supposed to be really checking for-just checked half body with a findind that I do have NP on the part he did check. My base doctor sent me to see a surgeon to interpret all the many MRI'S, xray"s and fee based doctor as the VA doesn't follow up the test it orders. Just leaves you hanging wondering if you are going to be okay or if you need furthur treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder

Many years ago I was denied fee service becaise I do not do well in crowds I requested it. I appealed and asked for an administrative hearing with at least one Doctor. I won

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.