Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim Procedures

Rate this question

D_Sizzle

Question

Good day,

I retired from the AF last September and was awarded 80%. However, due to other complications I have also developed Type II diabetes since my retirement and am now on medication. I am still within a year of my retirement so I think that helps my case. My question is this, what is the best way to get started on this claim? Everything was easy to do when I was active duty, but not sure where to start now.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Thank you so much. This form is exactly what I was looking for. I currently live in So Cal and believe my servicing VA is in Utah. Is that where I send the form? Do you know of an address I need to mail this?

Thanks,

Dave

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know exactly where to send the form, but I do know that it is very important to get it in within one year and send it certified mail/return receipt. If you can drive to the VARO and get date stamed copies of your disability claim that is even better. Send all evidence by certified mail/return receipt. The one year time frame is very important to show that your chronic disease "DMII" is service connected. Do you have high glucose readings in service. I bet you do.

• HadIt.com Elder

Why wouldn't you be serviced, by a VARO, in So Cal. Usually, the state RO(s) service the claim. In CA I believe there may be a few, due to it's size. CA appears to have three - Los Angeles, San Diego & Oakland. If you're in So Cal I'd say either San Diego or Los Angeles, probably San Diego. Call them and check. jmo

pr

You can also call the 800# and tell them you want to file a claim for DMII, or go on the VA website and file under VONAPP

The claim is probably being handled in UT because the # of claims in So Cal. There are Veterans here in the greater Portland area who had their claims done in Salt Lake City.