Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Vet Have 2 C-Files?

Rate this question

autumn

Question

hey folks, i have a pending claim for the secondary medical issues related to my service connected MS.

i have a large folder of supported medical documentaion from active duty to present for cervical trauma and its issues. i want/need to file for that to be SC'd along with increased degeneration issues with service connected lumbar trauma.

question: can i submit a claim request along with this folder and have it as a second c-file so it doesn't hang up the current MS claims issues? i just don't see this varo doing the right thing and the current claim could take as long as they want to drag it out.

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Veterans only have one C- file. There are times when VA loses a veteran's C-file and they create a new one but when the lost C-file is found then VA will combine them together. VA also creates a veteran a temporary C -file, if the veteran files a new claim and has an appeal in process but when the appeal is completed the temporary C-file is combined with the original claims folder.

...VA also creates a veteran a temporary C -file, if the veteran files a new claim and has an appeal in process but when the appeal is completed the temporary C-file is combined with the original claims folder.

IYHO, with this temp C-File you mention, would the varo work on that claim as seperate from the appeal/claim process already in progress? or would the temp C-File stall the one already in progress?

It depends if the new claim is secondary to any claim on appeal. if it is then it will slow the appeal down, it could also slow the appeal down if the veteran's c-file is at BVA and the RO has to request the original C -file back to get pertinent evidence and return it to BVA and then the RO would try to process the new claim. Keep in mind that it takes about five years to go through the appeal process. If the new claim is separate from any claim on the appeal the RO can process it by itself.

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually Veterans should be aware that there are more than one file kept on Veteran and some information is not available in C File. At your VAMC for instance many Veterans have an Administrative File, Voc Rehab keeps their own files as does the Dentist. Of course after you open a C file with your first claim much of the info is not always current. Although your SMR's are supposed to be in your c file they usually do not include Personnel 201 file for Army nor records at postings.

Took me years to get all the information that they had put in various places.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete53 I agree but I just don't want to confuse anyone. The VAMC records are medical treatment or dental records, the Voc Rehab are Educational folders, but of course these are not part of the C-file. It is best when a veteran is being treated for a disability and files a new claim that the veteran submit his or her treatment records as part of his or her evidence to make sure that their C-file is up to date or to request VA to get their current treatment records from the VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a claim at the BVA and I filed another claim for HB. It only took about a month to get the HB since there was no development involved. I do wonder about temporary files and we are constantly warned by VSO's not to file extra claims because it will slow down appeals. I don't know what is true. I think if you have a good claim that will net you some money file it regardless.