VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss & V.a.

Rate this question

rydastar

Question

I know i have been bouncing around here with some questions, as i am new to this site, but am wondering, if SS gave me 100% dis. for ptsd/ and heart( that was my original application with them) ..any thoughts what the v.a. will do IF they see the SS report.? thanks ryd..

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If the PTSD and heart can be service connected -then the SSA award is good evidence of TDIU paid at the 100% rate.

Are you claiming heart disease as secondary to PTSD That type of claim can be won with very strong medical evidence (IE IMO)

and also by referencing Dr. Boscarino's work on PTSD and heart disease.

I filed a claim like that in 1995 but it was the third claim , (I had 2 other claims filed regarding my husband;s fatal heart disease.They were awarded.

We can offer any potential cause to support a SC claim.

I used print outs of Dr. Boscarino's work as well as Dr. Robert Eliot's work as evidence that PTSD can cause heart disease.

I was denied because I did not have strong medical evidence or any strong medical opinion.I didnt pursue that claim because they awarded under a different death basis.But the denial is what put my current IHD claim under Nehmer.

Are you claiming heart disease (IHD) due to exposure to AO in Vietnam?

I assume your claim falls under the new PTSD criteria.

Do you have a VA diagnosis of PTSD yet?

Edited by Berta

I am claiming ihd for AO. i also recently got approved for this at a 10% rate..i have filed a NOD, and relaid to them i am not safisfied with this rating, yesterday i got a reply in the mail, they are in receipt of my NOD, and looking for more info from me regarding doctors tests.etc//

i am doing that at this time.

I have been to my own psychiatrist,(regarding PTSD), she DX me with PTSD and a GAF of 55, to make a long story short, i just finished my appt. 1 1/2 weeks ago with the v.a. psychologist, we chatted for 2 hrs. At length about me before service,during,and after, usual stuff what i am going through now etc..

i am waiting now for an answer or at least to see what he (psychologist) wrote up about this, and what he sent to the rating board.?

but to get back to my first thought was i am hoping against hope that the powers that be see that SS approved my claim with them at 100% disabled and at the very least gives me a decent rating for my heart,and ptsd claims..40-70% ?? is that asking to much? but i am a worry type guy, drives my woman nuts at times putting up with me and some things..thanks for your reply..ryd..

If the PTSD and heart can be service connected -then the SSA award is good evidence of TDIU paid at the 100% rate.

Are you claiming heart disease as secondary to PTSD That type of claim can be won with very strong medical evidence (IE IMO)

and also by referencing Dr. Boscarino's work on PTSD and heart disease.

I filed a claim like that in 1995 but it was the third claim , (I had 2 other claims filed regarding my husband;s fatal heart disease.They were awarded.

We can offer any potential cause to support a SC claim.

I used print outs of Dr. Boscarino's work as well as Dr. Robert Eliot's work as evidence that PTSD can cause heart disease.

I was denied because I did not have strong medical evidence or any strong medical opinion.I didnt pursue that claim because they awarded under a different death basis.But the denial is what put my current IHD claim under Nehmer.

Are you claiming heart disease (IHD) due to exposure to AO in Vietnam?

I assume your claim falls under the new PTSD criteria.

Do you have a VA diagnosis of PTSD yet?

The psychologist's report will tell you more and then you can see what rating criteria you fall into in the Schedule of Ratings link here at hadit on the right hand side.

In our PTSD forum is the new PTSD criteria.

The IHD rating criteria is in our AO forum.

"looking for more info from me regarding doctors tests.etc//"

They will need any ECHO or METs requests that maybe they did not have for the 10% rating.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

The main difference between those who get correct ratings and those who don't is persistence. Appeal everything until you are satisfied. Watch your deadlines and dates.

• HadIt.com Elder

took me more than 7 years to get my heart disease SC secondary to my SC PTSD just kept appealing their denial and low ball ratings I am now SC at 100% PTSD and 60% for CAD and 10% for hypertension although since my award I have had 2 more heart attacks and now my ejection fraction has dropped from 25% to 10% I am in end stage Congestive Heart failure, I spent 17 days in MUSC in ICU in April and on 10 June I was admitted to Lexington Medical Center and put into ICU again in heart failure they kept me until June 28 and I was told to get an AICD/Bioventricular Pacemaker put in, I have a referral in to VA Cardiology to get them to approve the installation.

The VA seems to like to low ball the cardiac awards and makes us appeal them to the BVA since it takes 2-3 years, I imagine their way of doing it saves them a lot of money as many veterans die before the claims ever get heard.

Keep appealing