VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thinking I'm Gonna Ask My Doc To Put Me Out Of Work Tomorow.

Rate this question

sawgunner

Question

Ok.

I work as a police officer.

The other day I had an incident at work where I had a melt down in public, in front of the Chief.

A bunch of stuff that was not my fault led up to it and the Chief does not seem to blame me but other on the department do. Now, I don't really care to get into that right now except to say that I had to work 2 extra shifts and had to provide traffic control for several hours on my days off and the pain along with all the other crap just got to me. if I we're not in pain and on alot of meds, I may have been able to handel it differently.

I have never had any dealing with Social Security.

Let me tell you all my issues and then let me know what you think my chances are.

First off....

I'm 33 years old, soon to be 34.

I have the following.

DDD of the lumber spine. (service connected)

DDD ceverical spine. (service connected)

GERD. (service connected)

Snapping Hip Syndrome. (service connected)

Incomplete paralysis/reduced refelxes, arms & legs. (service connected)

8 total ratings of 10% each for a total of 60%.

I am also diagnosed with the following which are being heard by VA now, or soon will be.

Chronic Pain Syndrome with depression.

Insomina caused by Anxiety. ( gonna try to get the doc to link all that to the chronic pain claim)

Mild hearing loss.

Tinnitus.

Neuralgia/Tingling in my hands and fingers and my legs fall asleep.

E.D.

I am diagnosed with...

Mild positional Sleep Apnea. (Not sure if I can claim that with VA)

I am pretty sure I will soon be or can diagnosed with the following.

IBS.

Arthritis. (left wrist and shoulder)

The pain from my hip and back, along with my insomina and all other conditions are making it hard to work. i don't do well witht he public anymore and work night shifts, alone... By choice.

I have not been on the road now for several years and bassicaly have a light duty type of jjob that alot of retired cops do part time.

Based on my age....

What are my chances of getting social security at this point?

And from there... If I can get my chronic pain claim rating fairly... to the 60% or above level, what are my chances of 100% IU?

I seriousley doubt that I can last another year at my job and if I lose it, I"ll also lose my retirement and long term disability insurance.

That's another matter.. The long term disability insurance at work.

Ok guys..

What are my chances???

I"m at my witts end at this point.

Also....

When I file for SSD, do i file on everything I am diagnosed with or just pick the most serious conditon.

I dont know much about SSD and this is some scary sh**.

How much will my 60% rating help with SSD?

I know I"m rambeling but I'm kinda freaked out.

:unsure:

Edited by sawgunner

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Gunner,

Remember to include any undesirable side effects from your medications as part of your debilitation.

Look at the list for each med to see if any apply and mention those to any treating medical personnel so they'll be in your records.

We shouldn't have to become amateur lawyers to win our promised benefits but that's the way things are.

You're a fighter so WIN THIS! :smile:

Doc told me that her office policy would not allow her to put me out of work.

She stated that I would need to get another doctor to do so first, THEN she could help per her company policy.

:huh:

Doc told me that her office policy would not allow her to put me out of work.

She stated that I would need to get another doctor to do so first, THEN she could help per her company policy.

:huh:

If this is what you really want to do, just go to your local hospital ER and tell them you don't feel comfortable carrying a weapon and taking the medications you are taking. They will say your a public safety issue and will probably keep you under a watch status for awhile. No Police Dept would risk what might happen especially since there has already been a reported incident. Your personal well being is IMPORTANT and so is everyone elses who come in contact with you in this fragile state. Dealing with pain is no easy feat. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.Mike

sawgunner....have you explored idea of a different position on the force. may work better for your disabilities??..especially before you go through

ssd. your so young.